Date and time in numbers and pages

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by willie45, Mar 27, 2008.

1. willie45 macrumors regular

Please please please can anyone tell me how to stop these applications changing what I type into stupid date and times? I tried to edit them in the inspector but find whenever I try to put "none" as the setting for the date, the time pops up and vice versa. It is driving me mad :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Willie

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If you want to change the format go to:

Pages: Right click>Edit Time and Date
    Numbers: Click on the down arrow at the end of the formatting options and choose a different format.

Picture 12.png

Alternatively if you want to display it yourself, just type the date and time in manually ;).

3. willie45 thread starter macrumors regular

Hi. the problem I am having is that I don't want it to display a date or time at all. For example I want to list an item as 10-20 and it keeps trying to change this to a date or time. I can't find a way to stop it doing this. No matter what option I select from the meu you mention it always comes up with some date. If I go to the inspector I am given a choice of either having it display a date or time and want neither

Willie

4. mackindergarten macrumors 6502

Hi,

there are 2 ways to do this in Numbers:

1) Format a cell as Text only (as described above, or in the Inspector via Cell Format)
    2) Write a ' in front of 10-20, this will tell Numbers that it's text you want to enter.

Hope this is helpful.

/Rupert

5. willie45 thread starter macrumors regular

Hi Rupert. thanks the ' method worked. I still can't get the Inspector to help though. If I change the date to "none" it makes the time show and vice versa. What am I doing wrong?

Also is there a similar method to the ' way to use in pages?

Thanks

Willie

6. mackindergarten macrumors 6502

Hi,

in Numbers, not only change the date to none (and thus making it a time) but change the Cell Format to Text.

CellFormat.jpg

If you had text (or a auto-formated date) in a cell, you have to re-enter the text (ie 10-20).

About Pages, I'm not sure, what you mean. Does Pages auto-correct the text 10-20 into a date? Or do you talk about a Numbers table in Pages?

/Rupert

7. willie45 thread starter macrumors regular

HI I am talking about in tables. I suppose the answer will be the same as for Numbers in this case?

Thanks for your help. I wish the instructions made this a bit clearer :)

Just checked this out and is working fine. Thanks again

Willie

8. mackindergarten macrumors 6502

Now I'm not following. Does everything work as you want it now? Or are you still unsure about Pages?

/Rupert