Date And Time Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tvmetguy, May 25, 2007.

1. tvmetguy macrumors newbie

I'm running 10.3.9 and got to my computer today to find the date had set itself to 12/31/69 and a time of 7PM. Upon clicking to fix I got a message saying my date and time had been set such that some of my applications wouldn't work properly....it was right. My internet applications including Safari and Firefox no longer work. What happened and how do I get back?

2. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

Two choices, go to System Preferences --> Date&Time
    If you have a broadband internet connection, select the Network Time server.
    Or set the date and time manually.

3. tvmetguy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I am familiar with the date and time feature and reset it the second I learned it was changed...the problem seems to be why it did this in the first place all by itself, and now that it did it my applications have got jacked up. Do I need to do a repair disk or what is protocol to get applications viewing the proper time again?

4. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

When the D&T goes back to default settings, it is usually because of zapping the PRAM, resetting NVRAM or a dead logic board battery. How old is your machine?

5. tvmetguy thread starter macrumors newbie

My machine is from 2000. I've learned that we took a power hit during the time my machine reset itself. Since then I've set my date and time to automatically update and that has fixed the problem. All my applications are now working just fine, it appears all issues were just temporary (took about 1 day to straighten out). Thanks for the advice!