Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 14, 2003
Just saw commercial for it a few minutes ago. Its one of those Chris Hansen undercover reports. Sounds interesting.

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 14, 2003
That was lame. If I found a bag with a brand new ipod in it sitting on a park bench with NOONE around Id take it too. I dont consider that stealing. And I wouldnt install some junk software reg disc either.

xy14

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2004
Minneapolis
it would be watching it, but KARE 11 (NBC in Minneapolis) is interrupted by the terrible bridge collapse on Interstate 35W that killed 6+ people.

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2006
I was about to post a new thread, but did the unthinkable in this forum. No Rdowns, not solicit a 13 y/o so as to combine both of Hansen's shows, I just decided to add to this post instead of starting the 46th iteration of the same topic. Oh the humanity!

Dateline NBC "To Catch an iJacker" (the bold letters help remind me of the significant value comments add each time they start a new thread.;)

A few of you all on here might know him from another set of infamous Dateline reports, but Chris Hansen is at it again, but this time tracking down stolen iPods. The report was decent, but not nearly as interesting as many other reports he has done.

The show took a very interesting angle towards the end where they discussed Apple and whether it was developing software to help recover stolen iPods, or at a very minimum, incapacitate them.

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 14, 2003
I was about to post a new thread, but did the unthinkable in this forum. No Rdowns, not solicit a 13 y/o so as to combine both of Hansen's shows, I just decided to add to this post instead of starting the 46th iteration of the same topic. Oh the humanity!

Dateline NBC "To Catch an iJacker" (the bold letters help remind me of the significant value comments add each time they start a new thread.;)

Maybe Im misunderstanding, but I hope you arent suggesting there were 44 other threads about this topic already and I started the 45th. Before I posted this thread I did a search for "dateline" and found nothing at all about this show on stolen ipods.

pianos101

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2006
Philly Area
Setup Much???

I'm about halfway into the show and I think it's way too much of a setup, just like the real Catch a Predator series... First off, obviously Apple wouldn't participate. Second, that "software" they implanted in the iPod boxes makes the tracking so much of a setup. If I get mine stolen tomorrow, how can what Chris Hansen does help me???

AppleGuy2

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2007
NBC Dateline - To Catch an i-Jacker

Anybody see it on NBC tonight? I thought it was pretty interesting how they were able to track down the stolen iPods and actually confront the people that stole them. If you saw it, what did you think?

Anybody see it on NBC tonight? I thought it was pretty interesting how they were able to track down the stolen iPods and actually confront the people that stole them. If you saw it, what did you think?

I saw this show last night. Pretty clever but hardly novel.

Apple could very easily implement the ability to allow you to report your ipod stolen via itunes. Once they receive that notification, they could simply not allow any songs to be put onto that ipod if the thief tries to transfer songs to it (assuming they use itunes).

I know many thieves would probably use ephpod [sic?] or some other program, but at least apple could make that effort which really is non-trivial. It might just deter thefts

The report did mention the patent application I posted a while back which is meant to deter thefts.

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
Here's a link to the Dateline page - Link

On there are links to the articles as well as what seems to be all videos on the iPod thefts. They posted it all! :)

Edit: After watching the report, I really like the idea that the guy had with putting the iPod security in with Applecare, that's quite a good business idea for Apple. Obviously a free solution like that patent would be better, but in a realistic standpoint I could see an iPod security clause added into Applecare for the iPod.

mac 2005

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Chicago
I saw this show last night. Pretty clever but hardly novel.

Apple could very easily implement the ability to allow you to report your ipod stolen via itunes. Once they receive that notification, they could simply not allow any songs to be put onto that ipod if the thief tries to transfer songs to it (assuming they use itunes).

I know many thieves would probably use ephpod [sic?] or some other program, but at least apple could make that effort which really is non-trivial. It might just deter thefts

The report did mention the patent application I posted a while back which is meant to deter thefts.

This is an excellent point, both for Apple and cellular services providers. I have to think apathy/indifference drives these companies not to implement these policies. Said thief would never buy the device in the first place but may purchase tunes from iTMS given the discount s/he received on the player. Meanwhile, what does it cost Apple for the victim to shell out another several hundred dollars to replace said iPod. Even if Apple can't ultimately recover the iPod, word of this policy might actually deter a theft or two.

Bosox3

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2007
I'm about halfway into the show and I think it's way too much of a setup, just like the real Catch a Predator series... First off, obviously Apple wouldn't participate. Second, that "software" they implanted in the iPod boxes makes the tracking so much of a setup. If I get mine stolen tomorrow, how can what Chris Hansen does help me???

what?? How is the "to catch a predator" series a setup? They dont contact the guys..they are just in the chat rooms when they get approached.

I think you need to know what setup means before you start saying everything was a setup.

steamboat26

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2006
Arlington VA
I watched part of it, Hansen saying iPod 10,000 times got a little annoying.
I was thinking that the people who stole the ipod must have been really stupid, because they registered them. Why would you register a stolen product?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.