Dates for iPod Touch 3rd Generation

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Lray3152, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Lray3152 macrumors newbie

Does anyone know an approximate date for the release of the iPod Touch 3rd Generation? I can't keep waiting for these tuesdays to keep rolling by and if the event isnt until the 2nd week of June, then what date is everybody thinking or have an idea upon? Thanks for everyones posts/suggestions/opinions!

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

September. Who in the world told you JUNE? Please search next time.

3. Lray3152 thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry! i meant for the WWDC event is in June (8-12th) and I know that is when they are releasing the version 3.0 update, but thought, with chance and hope, maybe the 3rd generation would be released that day. and wow, you need to ease up a little bit? haha

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Oh, no, no offense meant. 3.0 at WWDC, sure, but it'll just be loaded onto existing models until September when the hardware is updated.

5. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

Already here.

I have no idea when a new iPod touch will arrive, and Apple has not released any hints on it.

I think you might mean when does the iPod get a refresh. Well that will happen in mid June. There is no hardware upgrade though. It's just a firmware update. I suppose you have heard on the 3.0? Well thats it. The "upgrade" is free too.

As for a new hardware upgrade, my guess is the beginning of next year.

6. brax.j macrumors regular

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Nope, the upgrade to 3.0 will be $10.

As for hardware upgrade, Apple has always refreshed its iPod line in September, so if they stick to this pattern, it'll be in Sept.

8. saberahul macrumors 68040

When you purchase the 3rd G ipod, whenever that is released, it should come with the 3.0 (considering the 2.0 that came with 2G). I think that is what he meant when he said free for the upgrade. If you decide to get the upgrade in June, then yes you're right. There is going to be a $9.95 fee.
    Not like this matters but out of curiosity, is there tax on the upgrade fee?

9. Lray3152 thread starter macrumors newbie

my guess is there will be a tax on the upgrade just like how all the applications, if paid apps, have a tax added on. Week 2 of septembers seems like when the hardware update will arrive, which gives us about 5.5 wait for that. But wow, only about 2.5 months until the 3.0 is released, im debating on either getting that or simply selling my iPod and then waiting for the hardware update

10. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

You likely won't be able to buy new hardware in June, but a new Touch might be announced or demo'd then. They might show a new iPhone as well. Expect the 2nd gen to go on "back-to-school" special, with a new model for sale as soon as that special ends.