Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joe123ZC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2009
Seeing as iPhoto orders my photos in date order, I decided it's probably a good idea to make sure they have the right dates on them.
I got hold of an exif editor and changed a few dates but when I look in iPhoto, they appear to have the wrong year on them regardless of the fact I just changed the information attributed to the file

I know iPhoto has its own exif editor built in, but that won't let me change the year of anything, only the day/month.

Does anyone have any suggestions at to why it's doing this/how to fix it?

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Which exif editor are you using?

Also you may have to delete the photo from iPhone and reimport it in order to get it to recognize the change.

SimonJ

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Czech Republic
I know iPhoto has its own exif editor built in, but that won't let me change the year of anything, only the day/month.

Are you sure about that? When I go to Photos -> Adjust Date and Time it lets me adjust hours, minutes, seconds, days, months, and years..

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6

Also you may have to delete the photo from iPhone and reimport it in order to get it to recognize the change.

This is what I had to do in order for iPhoto to recgonize changes for me. I'm glad I caught it sooner rather than after having hundreds to change.

Joe123ZC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2009

Reveal 1.2.

I'll give that a try, thanks.
Just before I do though, if I clear the trash in iPhoto does it delete the actual photos?
Or just the links to the in iPhoto?

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2005
I believe iPhoto remembers the date by two different methods - the EXIf, and it's own library information. Once imported, I think it relies on the library info. If you wish to adjust the date and time, you should do so within iPhoto via the Photo -> Adjust date and Time - click on modify original, and it will change the exif data.

I did this for a range of files by changing by 3 hours, and it changed each of them by the correct time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.