Daughter Forgot Her Passcode ???

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by harcosparky, Dec 14, 2010.

1. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Ok so today my son tells me that my daughter lost her iPod Touch. I asked her when she last remembered having it and where. She tole me, " oh I dunno, maybe two months ago and it was in the car. " So tonight I tear the car apart and found the iPod Touch, face down under the seat.

She does not remember her Passcode, and since the time it was lost we completely redid her computer.

Anyway to get around it and NOT LOSE all that is on the iPod Touch??

Thanks

2. hobbbz macrumors 6502a

hobbbz

Whatever was on the iPT should be on the computer so just restore it as new. Any purchased apps can be redownloaded.

3. Crigger540 macrumors member

Crigger540

since the time it was lost we completely redid her computer.The story is probably BS, but he coverered that.

4. someone28624 macrumors 6502a

Why would you "completely redo" her computer without a back up? I'm thinking no, you won't be able to get around the passcode without losing all the data, unless you get lucky enough to guess it.

And yes, your story is extremely suspicious.

5. Sander macrumors 6502

If it's bought stuff you're worried about, won't iTunes remember your purchases so you can re-download them after resetting the iPod?

6. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Sometimes there is a price to be paid for irresponsibility.

7. Mr.Broken, Dec 15, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010

Mr.Broken macrumors newbie

So you can't just put it into recovery mode and then plug it into your computer open up itunes and itunes will notice that a ipod is in RECOVERY MODE. Then just restore it, dont worry all the apps can be re-downloaded! Hope this helped! And plus that story does sound like a load of BS :D Put to put the ipod into recovery mode, hold the home and sleep/wake button (the button on top of the ipod) down together for about 10-15 seconds

8. harcosparky, Dec 15, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010

harcosparky thread starter macrumors 68020

The hard drive failed ... not like there was a choice.

We did find an old backup, about 5 months old, so a restore was done from that.

She lost a few things, but not much.

This isn't the first time she put a passcode on something and screwed it up. She has a cell phone with AT&T and put a code in it, she then went to test the code and got it wrong. Enter the wrong code enough times and you trash the SIM card. At least that is how ATT explained it.

As far as the story sounding 'suspicious', I would imagine anyone who has raised a few children ( 5 to be exact in my case ) can tell you anything is possible when it comes to what children are capable of doing.

There sure is!

9. garysauctions macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Five kids!

Have they driven you totally insane yet?

10. aNYthing24 macrumors member

So wait...are you guys saying it's not possible to back up apps on more than one computer? Because the one I used to back up apps recently crashed. Am I screwed?

11. aristobrat macrumors G4

You should be able to plug your iOS device into any computer, right-click on the device in iTunes, and "Transfer Purchases" to that computer.

However, if the iOS device is locked, it has to be unlocked before you do that. So if you don't know the password to unlock the device, you're SOL.

Worse case, like people have mentioned, you can download apps and iBooks again (using the same iTunes Store account that orig. purchased them) and not be charged twice.

12. aNYthing24 macrumors member

Whew, thanks for that info.

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Only downside is that the apps will still say "buy" but not charge if you already bought it. Apple really should change it to "get" so you are sure you aren't having to repay again

14. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

I second that. It has be hard to know you are 'getting' the same version. Sometimes I get charged for an app because I got the iPhone or iPad version when I meant to get the other.

15. Drucifer macrumors regular

That sucks but I know how you feel. We had someone who we know and at one time trusted steal an iPod Touch from our house and when we finally found out who stole it and got it back they locked it with a password and refused to give it to us. We had no choice but to restore it. I think they thought if they locked the device we wouldn't be able to tell it was our iPod however, they weren't smart enough to realize when you connect to iTunes it recognizes your device. Not to mention I still had the receipt with the serial number copied down on it. ;)