Daughter got iPod Touch. How to deal with Apple ID?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by gusmahler, Sep 7, 2012.

1. gusmahler macrumors member

Just got my daughter an iPod Touch. I also have an iPhone 3GS without a SIM card that I use basically use as an iPod Touch. My wife has an iPhone 3GS that is fully functional. All are associated with my Apple ID.

After I got the iPod Touch for my daughter, I upgraded my iPhone to iOS 5. Unfortunately that means any iMessage sent to my Apple ID (which people think belongs to my daughter because she used iMessage first) actually goes to my iPhone instead.

I considered getting an Apple ID for her, but that leads to another problem--no more sharing of paid apps among the phones. She (or, more accurately I) will have to purchase any apps even if I already paid for them on my iOS product. (Also, you're not allowed to have an Apple ID if you're under 13, though that's easily worked around).

So what's the solution? How can she use her phone and get her messages and FaceTime, etc. separately from me?

2. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

Ahh... Where to begin?

I have to say that Apple's documentation is sorely lacking in the area of iCloud and Apple IDs. Suffice to say that the Apple ID you use for making purchases in iTunes and the App Store on your iOS device is (or can be if you want it) entirely separate from your iCloud Apple ID used for syncing and device backups.

My advice to you would be to go ahead and create an Apple ID for your daughter's iPod touch. This will give her 5GB of free space in iCloud for backing up her device and optionally syncing Contacts, Calendars etc. (unnecessary really if she has only one device). That Apple ID will also be what you use to iMessage her, FaceTime with her, and what you use in the 'Find My iPhone' app to locate her iPod touch.
    To do this you want to create a new iCloud account in the device's settings. Follow the instructions and it will lead you through creating an Apple ID for her.

You can log her into iTunes and the App Store on her device with your Apple ID and she will be able to continue to purchase content, download already purchased content and install/update already purchased apps (she will need your password for this).

I had to go through the same process with my 3 children when iOS 5 came out.

Hope this helps.

3. gusmahler thread starter macrumors member

Agreed about the documentation.

From playing around with her iPod Touch, I came up with a different solution. In the settings tab, you can set both the address to receive iMessages and the caller ID that shows up in iMessage. I associated her email address with my account and can now send iMessages directly to her from my iPhone.

4. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

5. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

You can have a different apple ID logged into iMessages/iCloud whilst using another for paid applications on app store. It's how I managed to set my phone since I originally had a apple ID for the Appstore and then used my MobileMe account (now iCloud) for syncing the backups and using iMessages to receive messages.

6. kaielement macrumors 65816

If you are worried you can set up an account with a gift card and when the money runs out it won't let mer purchase anything else. I think the lost amount you an buy is $15. Just a thought.