Daughters iPhone 4 Fix or Replace?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sulpfiction, Dec 1, 2011.

1. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

My daughters iPhone 4 (16 gig) front and back glass are both shattered. Touch screen still works as do all other functions of the phone. The phone was purchased on 12/24/10 so it's not even a year old.

Originally I was thinking I would just buy replacement glass and fix it myself. I know the front can be a little tedious but I know I could do it. My question is...Where is the best place to purchase the replacment glass? I see a ton of then on eBay but I would like to get OEM panels if possible.

Or, would I just be better off just scraping the whole "fixing" idea and just go to apple and buy a replacement? And I hear the out of warranty replacements are $149 for a 16g iP4. Is that always the case? And finally, can I just walk into to Apple or do I need an GB appt?

Thanks!

2. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Make a Genius appt. and get the 149 replacement.

3. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Do it yourself. Before I got the 4S I did a black to white swap on my 4 after the glass got shattered. Really not complicated at all, imo easy. Tons of little screws, but just take your time and it's quick.

As far as parts, I was looking for a seller I could just message and pick up locally. I found this guy and purchased from him.

$50 versus $150 is easy decision to me.

The display shows just the same as OEM and same feel/response which was my concern. Everything held up over time. I was happy. That said, while OEM quality it's not OEM.

First I'd go to Apple though and inquire on your options. May replace for free.

4. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

If you feel confident in repairing it yourself then go for it. I suggest going to Apple first tho.

5. Sandman1969, Dec 1, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2011

Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

Most definitely repair it yourself. I repaired my 4 and gave it to my wife when I upgraded to the 4S. Also, repaired to 3GSs, though they are MUCH easier.

The 4 is definitely doable and just be methodical with your tear down and keep everything separated per step. iFixit has a great walk through for the repair.

I ordered my parts from etechparts.com. The shipping was crazy fast, they have good customer support and good prices. I was referred there by another macrumor member and my buddy repaired his 4 as well after I did.

Here are the 4 replacement parts. Well for AT&T models, which I am assuming yours is since you bought it last December.

https://www.etechparts.com/iPhone-4-Repair-Parts-s/309.htm

You want :
    822-4144 (though you may want 822-4221 since it has the speaker screen and camera "hold") Though the speaker screen swap is real easy. The camera hold is a pain to swap and I actually messed that up. Though, you don't really need the camera hold, I don't think. I don't have it on.)
    and
    822-4145

Also, make sure you have the proper tools. My 4 was a phillips screw for the case so I didn' tneed the special "pentalobe" screwdriver. You will want the nylon spudger. You can order the whole tool kit there too. Product Code: 822-4322