Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
It's already been discussed here a fair amount, but I think you might have missed something. David Pogue is a huge Mac fan, and he was just trying to be funny.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Didn't know that, the way that the summary of the article was worded, I thought he was a Microsoft fan. Very misleading otherwise I read it too fast and missed something.

MacFan26

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2003
San Francisco, California
David Pogue is a funny guy...I love reading his Circuits articles and listening to his podcast. I miss the days when he used to write for MacWorld, those were some good back pages articles! Anyway...he obviously prefers OS X to Windows, but I think he's pretty fair in his Times articles, he always mentions what he thinks is good about Windows before he gives a list of reasons why it is bad, ha :)

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Okay, so it's possible that some Mac fans have not heard of David Pogue. Difficult, but still possible. But not get the satire in that video? Seriously?

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
Okay, so it's possible that some Mac fans have not heard of David Pogue. Difficult, but still possible.

I don't know, it'd be very difficult to be enough of a Mac fan that you're signed up for the MacRumors forums yet haven't heard of David Pouge, with his countless pro-Apple articles, books and manuals, Macworld appearances and even numerous quotes in Apple advertisements...

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
I don't know, it'd be very difficult to be enough of a Mac fan that you're signed up for the MacRumors forums yet haven't heard of David Pouge, with his countless pro-Apple articles, books and manuals, Macworld appearances and even numerous quotes in Apple advertisements...

I've been a Mac user/fan for 2 years now and I hadn't heard of David Pogue. Now that I have heard of him, I'll be sure to remember it. When I was a Microsoft fan, sort of, I don't know who the major columnists were that were very pro-microsoft.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I've been using Macs for 6 years now and never heard of him.

Have you never been into the Mac section of your local bookstore? You'll always find at least a couple of Pogue's books on the shelf.

I suppose he had a higher profile when he wrote for MacWorld, all those ages ago, when people actually read computer magazines. But I thought he was still kind of difficult to overlook.

He's also a very entertaining speaker.

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
I suppose he had a higher profile when he wrote for MacWorld, all those ages ago, when people actually read computer magazines. But I thought he was still kind of difficult to overlook.

Yeah, maybe I'm just showing my age!

I guess you hear less about him since his NYTimes days, but back in the days when the PPC was introduced, you couldn't pick up an issue of MacWorld or MacWeek or attend an Apple event without hearing the guy's name...

skoker

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2005
I have David Pogue to thank for my Mac addiction. I even have the manual (signed by him) for one of his PowerBooks that he sent me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.