David Pogue's iPhone 3G Video

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2004
The plastic back looks a lot better in the video then it does in a stand still photograph.

LimeiBook86

macrumors 604
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Fun video but, does anybody else find it odd that the iPhone 3G (and the 2.0 software) now has a Contacts application? I mean the Phone app already has your contacts in it, I wonder why they felt the need to have a separate Contacts app. This was also seen on another iPhone 3G, I wonder why... :confused: Unless it's some sort of sample developer app... :rolleyes:

Attachments

heyp

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2008
Fun video but, does anybody else find it odd that the iPhone 3G (and the 2.0 software) now has a Contacts application? I mean the Phone app already has your contacts in it, I wonder why they felt the need to have a separate Contacts app. This was also seen on another iPhone 3G, I wonder why... :confused: Unless it's some sort of sample developer app... :rolleyes:
i think it's to be more like other phones actually... generally, whether you want to call, text, or email someone, you find their name in your address book and then make the necessary steps to accomplish what you want to do... the iphone obviously is a bit different in that you access the application first and then select the contact

LimeiBook86

macrumors 604
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
i think it's to be more like other phones actually... generally, whether you want to call, text, or email someone, you find their name in your address book and then make the necessary steps to accomplish what you want to do... the iphone obviously is a bit different in that you access the application first and then select the contact
Yes, but I don't really see a need for a separate application. I guess we'll have to wait and see why it's there. I personally thought the Contacts tab in the Phone application was fine. I guess maybe this allows you for quicker access to your contacts. Interesting... :)

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
When my phone was jailbroken I had the contacts thing on the front page and actually found myself using it a heck of a lot more than I anticipated. Don't knock it 'til you try it. ;)

LimeiBook86

macrumors 604
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
When my phone was jailbroken I had the contacts thing on the front page and actually found myself using it a heck of a lot more than I anticipated. Don't knock it 'til you try it. ;)
Yeah I'll be interested to see how it differs from the current software on the iPhone. I'll definitely give it a chance, I was just initially puzzled when seeing it on the home screen. :p

mixstar336

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2007
MN
I dont think it will be included...if it was to be included i would guess that apple would place it on the packaging of the new phone - only has app store as new icon.

Eric Lewis

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2007
CANADA? eh?
Contacts..is on the second page by default

I personally believe that its faster having a seperate contact then going to phone then contacts

Bevz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2007
UK
Yeah I'll be interested to see how it differs from the current software on the iPhone. I'll definitely give it a chance, I was just initially puzzled when seeing it on the home screen. :p
It's actually useful... You can keep the Phone app in Favorites mode to make dialing quicker and use the contacts app to look up people / add contacts etc. Yes, you can do it all on the Contact tab of the Phone app, but you have to keep switching back to favorites; i think it's a nice (albeit small) addition to have it as a separate app IMHO

aardwolf

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2007
Contacts is there because your iPhone with Mobile Me support will instantly sync contacts between your machine and phone. This allows you to keep the phone area clear for contacts with phone numbers.

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
Pretty funny, I do agree that the black looks much better than any other photos or video I have seen.

Nicky G

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
Pogue rules, and that was funny. If you think he's so "off" I suggest that it is indeed you with a personality disorder. He's just funny, 'nuff said.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Pogue rules, and that was funny. If you think he's so "off" I suggest that it is indeed you with a personality disorder. He's just funny, 'nuff said.
I don't really believe in personality disorders (or anything from the DSM-IV for that matter), I was just making a joke about him being obnoxiously smug. There's all sorts of humor. Like some people used to like that show "Whose Line is It Anyway." I hated that show. For some reason, I think people who like that show would like David Pogue. I get that whole smugness vibe from both. My humor is: Arrested Development, the British Office, the first season of 30 Rock, Strangers with Candy, movies like Drop Dead Gorgeous, The Good Girl, Sordid Lives, Murder by Death, The Brady Bunch Movie. I could enjoy David Pogue in a movie where he's singing and suddenly run over by a truck. And I know it's not really fair to him, but he has one of those faces (like Joseph Lieberman) that makes it look like he's perpetually straining to pass his bowels, and it's just kind of an obnoxious face, which again, would make him very likable in a movie where he's being run over by a truck.

(L)

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2005
No
I don't really believe in personality disorders (or anything from the DSM-IV for that matter), I was just making a joke about him being obnoxiously smug. There's all sorts of humor. Like some people used to like that show "Whose Line is It Anyway." I hated that show. For some reason, I think people who like that show would like David Pogue. I get that whole smugness vibe from both. My humor is: Arrested Development, the British Office, the first season of 30 Rock, Strangers with Candy, movies like Drop Dead Gorgeous, The Good Girl, Sordid Lives, Murder by Death, The Brady Bunch Movie. I could enjoy David Pogue in a movie where he's singing and suddenly run over by a truck. And I know it's not really fair to him, but he has one of those faces (like Joseph Lieberman) that makes it look like he's perpetually straining to pass his bowels, and it's just kind of an obnoxious face, which again, would make him very likable in a movie where he's being run over by a truck.
Blah blah blah. I can understand not liking Pogue (and even agree on some points), but straying off-topic to pooh-pooh Whose Line.... Why be so eager to disapprove? Smugness? I think you mistake being into their acts as being into themselves, but in any case, it's in poor taste to be judging whether comedians are smug. You certainly don't sound like a forgiving person, and forgiving people laugh more heartily than those who aren't. I too don't think Pogue is as funny as he might think he is, but he probably knows that's how he appears. You mean to say you can't stand a bit of hokeyness as a way to avoid reporting in a mundane manner? Give the guy a break, even if he is smug.

Anyway, this thread isn't about asserting your own sense of humor. Regardless of you finding need to pooh-pooh the video, I think Pogue is right on suggesting that the 3G really isn't very compelling for existing iPhone users.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.