David's new Power Mac G5 thread!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by davidg4781, Mar 26, 2015.

1. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

Right, so I've been wanting a Power Mac G4 for a while (just because) and saw this on Craigslist while searching. The deal was too good to pass up so I jumped on it.

It's a Late 2005 2.3 GHz DC with 4.5 GB RAM and 2 X 40 GB HDDs. GPU is a GeForce 6600.

It came with a NewerTech WIFI dongle, a yellowed Apple Pro Keyboard and Pro Mouse. I already have a keyboard and mouse from my iMac G4 and it's right next to the router so I won't need any of those.

I have it hooked up to a 20" Cinema Display I picked up a few years back. Right now, I'm not sure if I have any major plans for it. I've thought of having a media server but I'm not sure if I want to keep this running all the time. Also, the only media I have really is music and I can either listen to that from Apple TV or my MBP. I do plan on converting some VHS tapes to DVD so this might work well with that.

I do need to clean out the inside. I glanced inside when I purchased it to make sure it wasn't empty and it was a little dusty, but nothing major or neglected. I'll also reapply the thermal paste when I do this. Larger HDDs are probably coming soon along with a new GPU. I've never dealt with 2 HDDs so I'm not sure if I keep one for media or what.

Either way, I'll try to keep everything related to this in this thread. Any advice or suggestions are highly recommended.

2. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

I like my DC2.0 they are reliable machines and haven't had any issues with mine. In the past I've owned several early 05 models and 50% of them had issues.

A better graphics card is my first suggestion. Mine has a 6600 and I actually prefer to use my Early 05 2.3 with a 256MB Radeon 9650. For the hard drive situation, if you want pure speed get an SSD or two hard drives and RAID0 them together, makes for a quite speedy system!

3. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

Is it too late to RAID0 the ones I have? I'm currently installing Leopard, or at least it should be finished right now.

4. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

You'd have to reinstall Leopard over again but I would recommend it. Just store important stuff on a secondary external hard drive or something if you run the raid in the case of one drive dying.