Day 1: iPhone Battery Drain

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by kcellup, Jan 21, 2016.

1. kcellup macrumors regular

kcellup

Holy cow, after the first day the apple watch seemed to drain my iPhone battery pretty significantly! I will say that the Apple Watch batter seems pretty legit and don't understand those complaints. Is the iPhone drain normal?

2. comics addict macrumors 6502a

It depends on what was your experience with the iPhone battery before pairing a Apple Watch. Can you give me an example? I have had the Apple Watch for over a month and the battery life on the phone being excellent.

3. kcellup, Jan 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2016

kcellup thread starter macrumors regular

kcellup

i used to use my phone for everything and still had probably a 50% at the end of the work day... today barely using my phone and primarily my watch, the iPhone had a 21% charge when i got home.

4. nightcap965 macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

I use my phone all day every day, as well as my Apple Watch. It's not the end of the day yet, but the iPhone 6+ battery is at 77% and the Apple Watch is at 59%. Chill out - once it stops being such a novelty, I'm sure your battery life will improve.

5. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

Having the watch improves my phones battery life due to my reduced interaction with the phone.

6. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

Honestly, it depends on what iPhone you have and the age of that phone. If the phone is an iPhone 5, it has a smaller capacity battery, and batteries degrade over time, so there is even less capacity. My 6s+ will be on nearly 50% with the watch connected when the day ends(6am-6pm). However when I had my 5, it would die so early into the day(6am-11am). It all comes down to your phone and it's age/usage history

7. kcellup thread starter macrumors regular

kcellup

8. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

That also can be a potential problem, the battery life on 9.0.2 is really bad, like REALLY bad. My 5 was JB too and once I upgraded to the 6S+, I updated it to 9.2 and battery life shot through the roof, even with the Watch connected

9. masands macrumors regular

Yeah, the Watch consumes around 20% of the iPhone's battery per day. Think about it, it has poll the iPhone for literally everything. If you have a Weather glance, it has to check your iPhone first etc.

10. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I had MORE battery at the end of the day using the watch, not less.

11. gwhizkids macrumors 68020

gwhizkids

Makes sense...although the phone is active providing data to the watch, the screen is far less active.

12. MrTazz macrumors member

MrTazz

When I had an iphone 5 the battery would drain very quickly while using the phone while being paired with the watch. Before I got my Apple Watch it was ok
    I now have an iphone 6s and the battery on both the phone and watch are fantastic I could go two days before having to charge them up