Day 1 of Apple Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by mattysouthall, Jul 2, 2015.

1. mattysouthall macrumors member

So, I bought the Watch 42mm Stainless Steel with Sports Band yesterday, and today is my first full day of using the Apple Watch.

I must say I really do like it, except one issue is it's already got a small scratch on it, it really does scratch easily on the edges?

Bit disappointing with it not being as scratch proof as I thought.

2. rowdt1 macrumors regular

It's not scratch resistant at all.. You can easily polish the scratches however with a cloth and some secret ingredients. Olive oil should work pretty well. Also, be happy that you have the SS model; scratches on the aluminium sport model are there to stay.

3. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

SS scratches easy brother. Embrace them or if they bother you simply polish it out.

4. mikemj23 macrumors 6502

I've got the SG 42mm Aluminum and mine doesn't have a scratch on it yet and I've used it pretty hard (coaching baseball, working out, pool with kids etc.)

5. bh85 macrumors regular

bh85

From what I have seen, aluminum sport models scratch less than stainless steel. I have one. Had it for a few weeks and hit it against door and desk multiple times and I don't have even a smallest scratch.

6. mattysouthall thread starter macrumors member

it is a shame!! Ah well still love the watch though.

7. WilliamG macrumors G3

It's really not a shame. Fixable in literally seconds.

8. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

SS is far more durable than the aluminum. So just imagine how much more badly your watch would be scratched if you went for the cheap option.

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

No, the aluminum watch scratches less, because of the matte finish. Yes, if the aluminum watch did get scratched, it will be impossible to polish it out, but it doesn't scratch as much as the steel in the first place.

10. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

There has been a ton of forum debate on this, but... I think that anodized 7000 aluminum has higher abrasion resistance than the 316L stainless steel. So, that means that the sport is less likely to scratch compared to the SS. But, when the sport scratches, you are screwed.

11. beanbaguk macrumors 6502

beanbaguk

Glad you're enjoying your Apple Watch.

Regarding your scratches, embrace them as others have said. It's part of the character of your watch. Each scratch / ding tells a story and is unique to you. Weird I know, but I wear a couple of watches worth in excess of $15k and they've all got scratches and dings. It's just part of my watch and simply cannot be avoided.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The sapphire crystal is scratch resistant, the stainless steel is not, in fact due to its polished surface its going to show scratches a lot more. Most people resign themselves to polishing out the scratches which can easily be done.

Good luck with your watch and its great to see you're enjoying it :)