Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stropaganda

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
My main quibble is the web browsing experience... the lack of inertial scrolling/rubberbanding, the tap to zoom, etc, makes things feel off. But then the notifications/widgets system is so powerful, and you have things like Swiftkey - it's pretty nice. The size of the phone is a bit much and would probably find something in the 4.3" range to be the sweet spot.

What browser are you using? Chrome?

mzjin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2011
This may not be the right place but ill give it a try. I am using the official twitter account for Android and not receiving push notifications of my mentions. I tried doing what the twitter help Page says but no luck. Anyone? I it would be appreciated.

That reminds me another issue I had... No notification center!

There was no way to easily change app notification behavior.

Google voice would notify me of new texts through the stock messaging app, which was completely inane!

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
Hmm, I dont have any issues that the OP listed, well thats not true...

When I watch videos of snakes I can hear hissing, so I do hear that sometimes.

I have three friends here at work with the 5, and when I play with them they seem slow compared to my GS3, the 5 seems lagy when switching between apps and screens.

and the camera took a while to load.

Now to be fair, I have a custom Rom, kernel, radio, loaded so my device is way faster than stock, but isnt that the point of android, you can do whatever you want with it.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Returned my S3 today after just 12 hours or so lol. My reasons you ask? Build quality, screen quality and brightness, home button and I didn't have any desire to use widgets like always. I don't know why I keep trying Android. Where's the Lumia?

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
Returned my S3 today after just 12 hours or so lol. My reasons you ask? Build quality, screen quality and brightness, home button and I didn't have any desire to use widgets like always. I don't know why I keep trying Android. Where's the Lumia?

Nice day for a troll?

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV

Well it is different. Takes a lot mor than 12 hours to get comfortable but to each their own. You will have to get used to Windows as well though i think it is easier, and thats because it doesnt do as much but i like it. I look forward to trying out the 920, 820, 8X...which ever.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Well it is different. Takes a lot mor than 12 hours to get comfortable but to each their own. You will have to get used to Windows as well though i think it is easier, and thats because it doesnt do as much but i like it. I look forward to trying out the 920, 820, 8X...which ever.

To be fair, the majority of the people just don't want to spend hours or days learning how to use a new phone. In the end, it's just a phone. Why would it need to be more complicated? Why would we need to spend days tweaking it and all?

That happened to me when I bought the iPhone 4 two years ago. I just was tired of phones that needed too much work. I wanted something simple that would work by its own 10 minutes after the first boot up, and not needing to ever mess with things again.

Then I wanted more and that's why I'm with android now, but it's been 3 months since I have my galaxy s 3 and I'm still trying roms, kernels, tweaks, etc. It's fun sometimes, but most people don't want this.

I understand them.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
To be fair, the majority of the people just don't want to spend hours or days learning how to use a new phone. In the end, it's just a phone. Why would it need to be more complicated? Why would we need to spend days tweaking it and all?

You dont need to spend days tweaking it but there is a learning curve. It is very different from iOS and when somebody gets a new phone, i dont think they mind playing with it for a few days for long periods of time. Hec iOS is basically the same and they are doing it with the iP5. Every new phone if it is different from what your used to has a learning curve. Android is just a little more but when you discover things about it, i think it gets people excited about it but it takes some time. To me 12 hours and giving up is just somebody who is frustrated that it isnt like their other phone, ..but thats cool too. To each their own.

And somebody said in another thread that people actually line up in Apple stores to take a class to learn how to use their phone so if that is true, i disagree that people dont want to spend time learning to use their phone. The iPhone is simple to use yet they are taking a class? They want to know how to use it and taking time to do that.

Then I wanted more and that's why I'm with android now, but it's been 3 months since I have my galaxy s 3 and I'm still trying roms, kernels, tweaks, etc. It's fun sometimes, but most people don't want this.

I understand them.

This is what the majority of people dont want to do and this takes more time.

I have flashed ROM's before and it is good to have a better ROM but that was back with Froyo which still wasnt that great compared to now and i got tired of having to reload some things so flashing for me does get old in that regard though it is a good thing.

I dont feel i need to flash a ROM now since JB is coming soon and my battery is fine and so is the speed of the device.

Last edited:

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Take it back, it's broken. Non of the above is in line with my experiences with the phone.
I agree.

I've been enjoying every aspect of my Galaxy S3, as my Primary Smartphone over my Secondary iPhones 4S & 5.

As much as I love Apple, they've got some serious catching up to do.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
As much as I love Apple, they've got some serious catching up to do.

I used to think that until I got my 5. Now I realise the things that actually matter to me are better implemented on the iPhone. Connects automatically to Bluetooth every time I get in my car (S3 was hit and miss, and leaving Bluetooth on all the time isn't great for battery), Siri is really handy whilst driving, understands what I'm saying perfectly and it can set geolocation reminders, etc. there's simply no contest between Siri and S-voice. Siri can be activated from the headphones (great for running). It just feels like Apple has offered a solution whereas Samsung has just tried to get in the voice control game, but not thought about usability.

I must admit the iPhone had a bit of an unfair advantage because I wanted something that I could keep in sync with my iPad, which it does painlessly.

Everything is just easier on the iPhone and usually works better. Love having access to the iTunes Store too. Google Play Music isn't available in the UK yet with no word as to when it will be.

JonL12345

macrumors regular
May 21, 2012
When people say, "At the end of the day, its just a phone" (as stated earlier in the thread), well, that is the biggest load of nonsense I have ever heard. These are hugely powerful Smartphones, that do just about everything a desktop PC can do. Making phone calls is just a tiny proportion of their capabilities. They are computers in your pocket.

Android releases that power to the user. Apple's iOS doesn't. They tie your hands, restrict what you can do, withhold your freedom. It is sad that they have not caught onto the game. If they don't become more like Android anytime soon, they will fall by the wayside.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
When people say, "At the end of the day, its just a phone" (as stated earlier in the thread), well, that is the biggest load of nonsense I have ever heard. These are hugely powerful Smartphones, that do just about everything a desktop PC can do. Making phone calls is just a tiny proportion of their capabilities. They are computers in your pocket.

Agreed. "Just a phone" may apply to dumb phones.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England

Android releases that power to the user. Apple's iOS doesn't. They tie your hands, restrict what you can do, withhold your freedom. It is sad that they have not caught onto the game. If they don't become more like Android anytime soon, they will fall by the wayside.

iOS is definitely not as powerful as Android in terms of raw features, but I find the experience more seamless. I find I spend less time fannying about with the home screens now and instead actually using apps, listening to music etc.

I've only had the iPhone for a week and there's not really anything I desperately miss from Android.. that might change as time goes by.

At the minute I'm enjoying not having to mess with settings all the time to conserve battery life or scan NFC tags, just leave them on all the time, getting into my car and instantly having my phone connected to Bluetooth without even taking it out of my pocket or having to press anything (some Android phones may do this, I'm talking about the S3 as this is an S3 thread and it's hit and miss on the S3, sometimes works and sometimes doesn't), knowing that all of my pics and videos are beamed instantly to my iPad and PC.

Love both OSes for different reasons. Going to spend a bit of time with iOS but I'll probably be back with Android later.

JonL12345

macrumors regular
May 21, 2012
If you do go back to Android, I believe the app "Tasker" can auto connect to bluetooth, amongst a million other things it can do.

As to the fannying around with the home screen, you don't have to. That is personal choice. You can even skin your Android like an iPhone if you like. :)

Please note, I haven't actually got an Android yet, but will be very soon. I am still on an iPhone 3GS. I got fed up with the iPhone OS in the end and it was only when I realised what the Android could do that I wanted to switch. I felt like I had been blinkered by the general impression that iPhone is the bees knees. Its all marketing hype.

I do like the iPhone phone, it feels nice in the hand, has a good image. But its very basic at the end of the day. I'm going to get an S3 shortly, despite the fact it feels a bit cheap. The functionality wins me over big-time.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007

Took the words out of my mouth. I spend the vast majority of the time that i use my smartphone doing other things than making/receiving calls.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Honestly Android doesn't have enough "features" to win me over. Widgets? I never use widgets on the desktop, I can't imagine them being great on the phone. Mods and customization are nice but I feel no skin or rom can match iOS's speed and elegance. Removable SD? Gimme a break...

Notifications are the only thing I envy from Android, but I wouldn't trade the polish and ecosystem of iOS for them.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
If you do go back to Android, I believe the app "Tasker" can auto connect to bluetooth, amongst a million other things it can do.

As to the fannying around with the home screen, you don't have to. That is personal choice. You can even skin your Android like an iPhone if you like. :)

Please note, I haven't actually got an Android yet, but will be very soon. I am still on an iPhone 3GS. I got fed up with the iPhone OS in the end and it was only when I realised what the Android could do that I wanted to switch. I felt like I had been blinkered by the general impression that iPhone is the bees knees. Its all marketing hype.

I do like the iPhone phone, it feels nice in the hand, has a good image. But its very basic at the end of the day. I'm going to get an S3 shortly, despite the fact it feels a bit cheap. The functionality wins me over big-time.

I used Tasker to automate a lot of things, but unfortunately both Tasker and NFC Task Launcher cannot connect to a specific Bluetooth device - I think this is an Android limitation, as they are both able to connect to specific WiFi networks. The best I could do was add a widget to my home screen to enable Bluetooth and open the device list, but that still meant getting it out of my pocket, unlocking the device, tapping the widget then connecting to Bluetooth.

Also, when I initially got my S3 S-Voice worked when the phone was locked, but after a software update it stopped working and I would have to unlock the screen before I could use S-Voice. Not going to do that while I'm driving. That meant I had to create a Tasker profile to disable screen lock when I connected to my car's Bluetooth. Great, until someone decides to lean through my window, steal my phone and there's no lock on it! (unlikely I know :p)

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007

Understand. There was nothing to get used to really. It was mostly hardware that I didn't like and that wasn't going to change. I look forward to the beautiful hardware on those windows phones too.

mzjin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2011
Honestly Android doesn't have enough "features" to win me over. Widgets? I never use widgets on the desktop, I can't imagine them being great on the phone. Mods and customization are nice but I feel no skin or rom can match iOS's speed and elegance. Removable SD? Gimme a break...

Notifications are the only thing I envy from Android, but I wouldn't trade the polish and ecosystem of iOS for them.

Have you actually used the android notification? It actually sucks. There is way to control notification behavior like iOS notification center.

The GS3 has NFC, but no google wallet support. That feature was then effectively "useless".

I found the widgets to give me no more useful information or functionality than actively updating iOS app shortcuts.

Every other aspect of the experience is noticeably worse, from the browsing, lag, keyboard, screen, responsiveness, is just way worse.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
Have you actually used the android notification? It actually sucks. There is way to control notification behavior like iOS notification center.

Can you give some examples, I have an iOS6 device and an Android, not looked into customising notifications, i just left mine as default

What can I not do in Android?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.