Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Consumer Electronics Show is taking place this week, and as of yesterday, the show floor is open. MacRumors videographer Dan Barbera is attending CES and has been checking out all of the new products this week. Our day three roundup features interesting tech that Dan discovered on the show floor, with highlights from Lenovo, Hyper, Zendure, Targus, Chefling, and more.

Lenovo had a "Tab Extreme" tablet and keyboard folio that's suspiciously iPad Pro like, but it comes with a 14.5-inch OLED display, giving us a preview of what we might expect when Apple opts for OLED technology. Lenovo also had some nifty e-ink color tablets and also the Yoga Book 9i, a laptop/tablet hybrid with two displays instead of one and a detachable Bluetooth keyboard.

Chefling showed off cameras that go in your refrigerator or your pantry for monitoring what foods you're low on, and Hyper had a range of chargers and hubs on display. Hyper's USB-C media hub for the iPad was of particular interest because it puts media controls front and center, which is nice because the iPad Magic Keyboard does not offer media keys. It also has ports available, including a USB-A port, microSD slot, and headphone jack.

Targus had an ambidextrous mouse that can swap between left and right-handed orientation, and Zendure had a massive $4,000 battery charger on display. Nex demoed its NexMonitor, a unique setup that's meant to work with the Mac mini, and Lockly had fingerprint-reading locks.

Victrola featured its Stream and Carbon Onyx turntables, which allow vinyl records to be streamed to Sonos speakers, and Sony and Honda showed off a prototype vehicle.

Make sure to watch the video up above to see all of the products that Dan came across on day three, and check out our Day 1 video and our Day 2 video. If you want to know more about what's new at CES, we have a dedicated CES 2023 hub with all of our coverage.

CES is continuing through the weekend, and we're going to have some additional product clips on the MacRumors Instagram and TikTok channels, so make sure you're subscribed.

Article Link: Day 3 CES Video Roundup: Chargers From Hyper and Zendure, Lenovo's iPad Pro-Like Tablet and Multi-Display Laptop, Plus More

Reactions: AlexMaximus

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
The Yogabook looks terrible. Reminds me of the laptops we have seen over the years that threw the kitchen sink at the design and failed to sell.

The Victrola Turntable has a lovely design. I'm now tempted.

It'll still be as bad as every other turntable branded "Victrola".

I wonder if the new color e-ink tablet is a sign that color e-ink kindles are close…

There's no actual demand for them. The tech has been around for years.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
It'll still be as bad as every other turntable branded "Victrola".

There's no actual demand for them. The tech has been around for years.
The tech has been around but has been lousy until the most recent version. I suspect there is a lot of demand in the upper end devices.

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
Are they bad? What do you recommend? I haven't had a turntable since I was a kid.

Audio-Technica's turntables are generally well liked, even the lower tier models. The main issue with these tech-heavy ones you see at Walmart is they don't have counterweights on the tone arms, so they just slowly trash anything you play.

I have a Fluance RT-80 myself, but I got a deal on it.

Reactions: Cayden

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
I wonder if the new color e-ink tablet is a sign that color e-ink kindles are close…
I'd be moderately interested in color e-ink if there are no compromises with the experience of reading black text. If adding color leads to any of: lower contrast, lower resolution, a less clean image, slower transition times, etc. I'd rather stick with the Kindle I have now. Maybe adding color as a second option for a bigger Kindle would be good.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
That all-glass laptop is where I believe Apple was intending to take their laptop line at one point. Think traditional laptop screen with, basically, an iPad for the base. And I further believe Touch Bar was their toe-dip in the water toward that goal. Who knew they were actually dipping their toe in sulfuric acid?

Reactions: ZZ9pluralZalpha

vegetassj4

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2014
Lenovo had a "Tab Extreme" tablet and keyboard folio that's suspiciously iPad Pro like, but it comes with a 14.5-inch OLED display,
iPad Pro like? Take my money.

76A6EBF8-A6DE-4387-8FD5-008506F6D9F4.jpeg

Last edited:

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Hyper? I bought one of their chargers and when a port died their etch support hasn’t responded to email after several months. I’d avoid them.

dubiousgif

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2022
Hyper? I bought one of their chargers and when a port died their etch support hasn’t responded to email after several months. I’d avoid them.
They’ve had multiple fire hazard models yet MacRumors still promotes them.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
The CES ratio of silly gimmick tech to things that might actually be of some interest never ceases to amaze me.

I'll admit that there could be a market for it, but that dual-screen Lenovo looks like the silliest thing I have ever seen in a portable, and that's really saying a lot.

If you look at their list of ways it can be used, the orientation where the folded screen is on its side (so it's just a dual portrait screen/regular-sized screen with a gap in the middle) is practical, looks stable, and potentially useful. But the teetering vertical orientation looks absolutely ridiculous--if I were the designers of the tablet I wouldn't have even put that on the list as one of the possible configurations, let alone used is as the poster for the thing.

philcourage

Suspended
Oct 27, 2022
The last couple of years I realize CES is a show for tech ideas and concepts, hardly a place for real products.

Regarding the Yoga thingy, sure, the implementation is lacking, but it looks promising. Apple could take that idea and refine it into a future iPad Pro that would cost an arm and a leg. This is more what Viticci always said about the iPad being a modular computer.

philcourage

Suspended
Oct 27, 2022
Anyway to release your YouTube videos as Apple video podcasts?
Honestly I would like more youtube content to be in podcast form, so I wouldn't have to deal with Youtube's annoyances every time I want to watch a three minute video.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
I'd be moderately interested in color e-ink if there are no compromises with the experience of reading black text. If adding color leads to any of: lower contrast, lower resolution, a less clean image, slower transition times, etc. I'd rather stick with the Kindle I have now. Maybe adding color as a second option for a bigger Kindle would be good.
My understanding is the most recent color panel can do 300 dpi in both B&W and color. Still a limited color palette but really the first viable color panel they've produced.

ZZ9pluralZalpha

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2014
That all-glass laptop is where I believe Apple was intending to take their laptop line at one point. Think traditional laptop screen with, basically, an iPad for the base. And I further believe Touch Bar was their toe-dip in the water toward that goal. Who knew they were actually dipping their toe in sulfuric acid?
I feel like two screens hinged together (without a crease, thank you) is a decent idea for a tablet/light-duty laptop, but as usual Lenovo didn't quite think things through before throwing it at the wall. That hilarious vertical stack configuration looks like something very drunk marketers would dare each other to sell.

Reactions: lazyrighteye

Danfango

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2022
London, UK
CES is always a laugh. People are so desperate to innovate when what they need to do really is create some decent quality well supported products to remain market relevant. It’s painful watching large companies who should know better literally struggling.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.