Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Just pretend they were eating cube steak. Then you wouldn't want it anyway.

093P.jpg

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
mad jew said:
Am I the only one who likes the steak to be thoroughly burnt to a crisp? I want it so charred that I can whack it on the table and it'll snap in two. :cool:
I can't imagine eating a steak that way.

For me, give me a raw, er. rare, steak any day. Bloody rare. :D

iPhil

macrumors 68040
sushi said:
I can't imagine eating a steak that way.

For me, give me a raw, er. rare, steak any day. Bloody rare. :D

sushi: you remind me of my tech teacher from 7 yrs ago .. :D :D

you can highlight the wording below if you got a iron stomach

he likes steaks that still kick when he swallows:eek: :eek:

me luvs some med-rare (tad blood) in the middle of the steak

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
2nyRiggz said:
Oh gosh I just throwed up:(

well seasoned veggie burgers all day

Bless
Right on. You and I don't have to worry as much about Dioxins.
You know what I find funny is that they say eating medium and well done beef and chicken increases ones risk for stomach/breat/etc cancer but when eating the meat rare you risk E Coli and other bacteria.

Salasm

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2006
surrounded by mods
Abstract said:
Today, while I was eating my salad and vegetarian lasagne, everyone I know had a steak. Yes, steak. The best meat in the world.
That's not a way to live. If you're constantly tempted, you'll fail at being a vegetarian.

Instead of red meat, I like chicken and fish. Very healthy and not too extreme as eating plant-only meals. The human digestive tract was designed to handle meat, it's what God planned.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Yeah, my steaks are done when they hit 120-125 degrees internally. I'll go up to 145 for the squeamish, the pregnant, or the young. Anything beyond that is a sin in my book.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
@Salasm: And I've given up meat. That's a bit different than just giving up red meat. I could easily handle that, so there'd be no point. Maybe I'll learn not to be tempted? It's just another 4 days. :p

In fact, I'd actually rather give up all meats except beef. I don't see why so many people are keen on giving up just red meat, but not something like pork.

MongoTheGeek said:
There are times where I like the steak well done. First slice it almost paper thin. Then fry it with some onions and serve it on a sub roll with cheese whiz and red sauce.

:cool:

You need all that other stuff to hide the ugliness of a well-done steak. :p

I'm not going to say I eat raw steak. The taste is just not appealing. Same with over-cooked steak. However, Medium-rare is fantastic. Medium is good too. Rare is do-able, but having it essentially raw leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

But it really does depend on the quality of the steak itself.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Pepper-encrusted fillet mignon with a port-cherry reduction, mashed potatoes with scallions and cheddar, some oven-roasted green beans, a slice of crusty bread, and a hearty syrah and I'm a happy man...

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
Holy *****!

Oh my God this is extremely weird. A collegue at work is vegetarian and I was quite interested in the whole vegeratarian thing so I said to him that I will try it for one week. I like to try things so I thought it would be cool. This was at Saturday at 5pm. I was thinking of posting about it here, and I clicked on your thread - and it is the same thread that I was going to post. This is freaky. The only difference is that I am on day 4.

I have been eating a lot of veggie burgers from Burger King. Yesterday I had Spaghetti Bolenaise with Quorn mince lol. A bit tasteless. I have been eating lots of cheese and branston pickle, fruit, orange juice. Will be having rice tomorrow. I have also been taking lots of vegetable soup.

I have been extremely strict about it. I work in a cinema and we all usually take some pick and mix and we got brand new pick and mix brought in in these fancy advanced cases (which collect the sugar!) and I wasn't allowed any of it! Also, I had toast and peanut butter, and I couldn't have any butter /margarine on it as I realised that the margarine had pork gellatine in it. You can immagine how ... dry that was lol.

I have been eating a bit more Haggen Dazs ice cream lol (which is also in my work - I work in a cinema).

I find this extremely extremely weird that someone on this forum is also being vegetarian for a week...at the same time I am and I was about to post about it and read this...

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
I suppose I can't moan about it as much as your abstract. I like meat but it doesn't bother me that much not eating it. I eat a lot of chicken in particular. I don't eat much beef... maybe some mince (ground steak) once a week, or a burger, or maybe some of a hotdog at my work.

I have decided that after the week, I am going to go back eating normally, but I am going to stop eating beef, and maybe pork. I will continue to eat chicken though. I also intend to cut down on my salt, by taking no salt with meals.

Does chicken even have any nutritional value?

hana

macrumors regular
May 23, 2003
Los Angeles
I like steak. Well done.

And since I'm in Los Angeles, one does need to have In 'n Out burger, right?

The only place where I've gone the veggie burger route is at this camp I use to go to. The beef burgers were okay, but since we ate outside, it seemed that the beef was very attractive to the particular type of bees in that area :eek: so after awhile I adjusted to the veggie burger life style at camp.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
I've never understood the obsession some people have with In 'n' Out... Their burgers are average for a fast-food place, and their fries are terrible in my opinion.

cslewis

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2004
40º27.8''N, 75º42.8''W
Can I ask what an 'In 'n Out' is? A greasy and unwashed burger joint, I'm guessing...

I'm a health nazi, I don't drink anything but water and milk and eschew meat except for special occasions. I eat small portions, fresh food, and try to avoid things that come in cans, plastic tubs, and 'easy open squeeze tubes'. Quite frankly, if your great-grandmother wouldn't recognize something as food, do you want to eat it?

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
max_altitude said:
Goodnight Abstract!

steak.jpg

:p ;)
oh that's evil (and worthy of quoting) :D

why are you not eating meat abstract?

and yes cslewis, In N Out burger is a "fast food" burger place in california... very delcious.

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Abstract said:
Today is Day 3 of my "only veggies" diet. Yes, I'm a vegetarian for 1 week, and it hasn't been that bad --- until tonight. :(

Today, while I was eating my salad and vegetarian lasagne, everyone I know had a steak. Yes, steak. The best meat in the world. My friends had slightly red steaks.......the best kind. :( It was difficult to bear. Steak, bbq ribs, and pizza are foods that will always be near the top of my "Favourite Foods" list (yes yes, my favourite food is Korean, but still). There's really nothing better than a good, medium-rare grilled steak. Anyway, I survived it, but barely. I just stared, and couldn't stop staring. :eek:

Yesterday was difficult as well. At lunch, my faculty had a pizza day and bought us all pizza (they do this semi-recently for post-grad students and order around 30 pizzas, Coke, other fizzy drinks, and bottled water), and most of it had meat on it. Yes, it was another food on my favourite foods list, and while it was tough not to eat what I wanted, I could eat the vegetarian pizzas, which I'm more than happy with. I really don't mind vegetarian pizza, lasagne, etc, so it's no big deal not to have meat. Sometimes I even prefer it that way.

However, steak is different. :( There's no vegetarian steak, and even if there was, it'd be tofu or something, which isn't comparable.

Tomorrow I'm minding my food co-ops table for my university's Clubs Day. We sell organic tofu, dried fruits, or organic nuts, etc. Funny how I loves me meat so much, while many other people involved are vegetarian or even vegan. :eek:

Anyway, it's almost 8:30pm, and I'm going out to a bar. The thing about this bar is that they buy around 30 free pizzas for us every 30 minutes or so. :eek: People grab whatever they can and eat it. Sometimes it's meat, and sometimes it's veggie. We just grab whatever we can get. Lets see if I can resist grabbing a meat slice by accident. :( :(

I don't eat beef...often. I think the last time I had actual beef was when I ate an Angus steakburger from Burger King by accident. I actually wanted a Tendergrill chicken sandwich. :rolleyes:

Not eating substantial amounts of beef (merely just a tiny bit), I didn't have such a nice time on the bloody toilet...for two days. Ended up having to take a shower both times.

Honestly, white meat is so much better for you.

lem0n

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2005
Milano...
My cousin is doing the exact same thing, being a vegetarian for one week. Seems to have no problem with it though but of course, she's waiting for tomorrow so she can eat meat again. Today, I bought some fried cake that is eaten with fish sauce and she ate them all and we didn't realize it until we finished eating that it was fish sauce. She was all "Damn you, you made me broke my fast" and now she have to be a vegetarian for one more day. They're joking that they fried the thing in fat so she'll have to eat it for one more week but she won't accept it

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
being a veg isn't too hard.. I've been one for about 2 years now. :D

It does get annoying when you're at someone's home for dinner, they don't know about your dietary restrictions, and put a huge, heaping pile of MEAT on your plate. :eek:

fearfactor47 said:
I have been eating a lot of veggie burgers from Burger King. Yesterday I had Spaghetti Bolenaise with Quorn mince lol. A bit tasteless. I have been eating lots of cheese and branston pickle, fruit, orange juice. Will be having rice tomorrow. I have also been taking lots of vegetable soup.
Yeah.. Quorn isn't too good. It's gross.
While veggie burgers from BK are convenient, they will add up $$!

while you're at it, try some tofu or tempeh.. don't just eat meat substitutes. Meat substitutes are EXPENSIVE for what they are.
Also it makes you a cheater. ;) (kidding!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.