Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
It's been a few days since launch. I've had some real life experiences with my iPad Pro 9.7", and it has been getting better and better.

I am coming from an iPad Air 2 and had no problems with it at all, I enjoyed it a lot. I have also had most generation iPads and have mainly used them as consumption devices. To me, they have always given some kind of upgrade to each generation that made it worth it to upgrade. In this case it was the Apple Pencil capability for a high value for me.

Launch day Thursday morning, I ordered it for in store pickup in Space Gray 256gb, Cellular, Applecare+, the dark gray silicon Case and Cover, the Apple Pencil, and a USB-C to lightning cable. I went in before work, showed my ID, unboxed everything in the car, and restored the initial content to get it running. I have a Waterfield Designs Slipcase I used for the Air 2, with the Case and Cover, it's a little snug, but works how I need it to. It has a front pocket perfect for the Apple Pencil. I also bought some utility pencils and used the clip from one on the Apple Pencil to keep it from sliding out.

I am not an artist, I am in Sales. I take notes at all of my meetings, and too often go nuts trying to find something I wrote down like a phone number or dollar amount. By the end of the week I have these notes all over the place and it is very hard to organize. I could type them out on the iPad or iPhone, and tried it once, it was awkward, so I stuck with the pen and paper until now.

I downloaded Goodnotes and PDF Expert and am synching them to iCloud and Dropbox. I got an email from HR the other day with some PDF's to sign. It was great, I opened them up, signed, saved, and sent in seconds. Goodnotes has notebooks I can create, so I have one specifically for work with lined paper style and have been using that this week. I also have another for photo editing, and look forward to creating notebooks for each active account I am working on to keep everything organized. I really like the feature of adding logos or artwork to these created notebooks.

So day 1 that afternoon I had a sales meeting, took notes during the meeting followed by a sales presentation later in the day. I was able to show some before and after examples of my product, plus a video of our application. I could do this on my previous iPads too of course, but once again that pencil came out and the client started asking questions about it which added a little rapport during my presentation. The great thing is when filling out info for an evaluation I will be performing, I am able to write the info in the lines and spaces rather than hunting and pecking to type in the line or box or tabbing down or moving the cursor to the precise spot and hitting the spot above or below can be annoying.

That night, I got home and utilized the 256 gb of space moving over my usual content, but now instead of swapping videos in and out, I can have them when I need them along with my entire music collection and all apps with plenty of space to spare.

I loaded some content into the Photo Editing notebook I created and had a little fun editing some photos, and played around with some drawing. I was using it a lot, but it lasted me all day. Now I can plug the cable into the same brick I charge my Macbook with and fast charge it when I need to, if I need to.

This week I will be creating some templates for my presentations that I can use for Q&A's to make it even easier to fill in content for my evals.

2 weekdays, and a weekend, and I feel like I have found paper and pen all over again. I am finding this to be precisely what Steve Jobs described it to be on the very 1st iPad announcement....a perfect in between device. I am thinking I may get the keyboard at some point, but right now the virtual keyboard works fine for me.

I'm curious what other members are using, and plan to use theirs for. I always like threads like these, I always find new ideas on uses that I never thought of.

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
I enjoyed reading this, thanks for posting!

I'm also planning to jump from Air 2 to 9.7 Pro. I'm really glad that everyone loves the Apple Pencil because that's my primary reason for moving, and your words about hunting and pecking on the virtual keyboard do hit home. I'm glad to hear that the Pencil is a better substitute for short form writing.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
Same here often our professors do video conferencing So I can open the Web address link in Safari watch the video and do hand written Notes on the other side. Before I carried various paper Notebooks and a Laptop 5lbs+ plus a few more in Notebooks and paper. Now I carry less then 1 pound the iPad Pro has replaced. Pen, Paper, and a Laptop. I feel totally different zooming from class to class without having to carry around so many items. Apple should do an Ad about students carrying around so many heavy books, and computer all will eventually be replaced by a Tablet very StarTrek like.

Can't wait until I can Swipe a page from my Tablet to a Friends tablet with a hand gesture.

And I've had my Tablet since Thursday and I have no issues with having Many open apps Sure on a PC I have Many open windows maybe email also but my PC has a 24 Inch Display Not easy on a 9.7 inch display

2 apps Side by Side is enough. And many other apps like Netflix remain open in the background and start up immediately Games too like VainGlory and Warhammer too.

People are making unreasonable requests that not even High end PC's do. You don't start a PC game like GTA V minimize it and Watch Netflix and then open 5 Browser windows and email all while having a game minimized. So why would people expect a tablet to do things they don't ask a PC to do.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
Sheza, I would tell someone that was looking to get an iPad and not the pencil to go with the iPad Air2 unless there was a possibility of getting the Pencil later. That 1 accessory really does make this product perfect IMHO.

RealAlex- I still don't get the big gripe about the RAM. We were battling for 2 GB for the longest time and got it in the Air2, it was great! The reviews that bring it up complain that it doesn't have 4, but don't have any criticism for the performance with the 2gb. It works great.

Wackery- the only reason I'm hesitant on the keyboard is the added weight, it's just enough with the case and the cover, the keyboard seems like it may just be a little heavier. Can you tell me your experience so far? If you turn it to the back, does it stay put with magnets? The 12" in the store didn't hold.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Wackery

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2015
Sheza, I would tell someone that was looking to get an iPad and not the pencil to go with the iPad Air2 unless there was a possibility of getting the Pencil later. That 1 accessory really does make this product perfect IMHO.

RealAlex- I still don't get the big gripe about the RAM. We were battling for 2 GB for the longest time and got it in the Air2, it was great! The reviews that bring it up complain that it doesn't have 4, but don't have any criticism for the performance with the 2gb. It works great.

Wackery- the only reason I'm hesitant on the keyboard is the added weight, it's just enough with the case and the cover, the keyboard seems like it may just be a little heavier. Can you tell me your experience so far? If you turn it to the back, does it stay put with magnets? The 12" in the store didn't hold.
The 9.7 keyboard is very stable, I don't feel it adds that much weight and they designed the silicone case and keyboard to match each other. Typing on it is a dream, I can't believe it's not standard. And if anything you can just take it off. I would say give it a shot if you're using it for an actual professional use, and if you don't like it return it with the 2 week return policy.

Basically if you liked the iPad Pro without the Smart Keyboard, you'll love it after.

Last edited:
Reactions: ShaunAFC3

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Do the apps you use convert your handwriting to text? I know there are a few out there, but so far the ones I've found are somewhat lacking. I don't have a Pro, but was considering getting one if there is a good app out there.

Organizing my notes on my iPad and not having to retype them would be great--and it would enough for me to look past the RAM issue. ;)

Reactions: MisterMillz

Wackery

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2015
Do the apps you use convert your handwriting to text? I know there are a few out there, but so far the ones I've found are somewhat lacking. I don't have a Pro, but was considering getting one if there is a good app out there.

Organizing my notes on my iPad and not having to retype them would be great--and it would enough for me to look past the RAM issue. ;)
i use scanner pro, but that's mostly for printed text, i don't know how good it can recognise handwriting.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
GoodNotes has a little loop feature where you draw a circle around what you wrote, and it will transcribe it to text. Pretty cool feature.

I bought the Keyboard to try out. Jury is out. It is definitely smaller than I thought it would be, also a little more cramped than I thought too, but pretty easy to get used to. It's better than a Bluetooth keyboard though, and I do like that I could swap covers and use it only when I need it.

Almost a full week with this device, and I am as happy now as I was when I bought it. This is definitely exactly what I was hoping it would be. I am using it much more than I used previous iPads. Although it is not a MacBook replacement, it is taking a lot of use away from it.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
It's been a few days since launch. I've had some real life experiences with my iPad Pro 9.7", and it has been getting better and better.

I am coming from an iPad Air 2 and had no problems with it at all, I enjoyed it a lot. I have also had most generation iPads and have mainly used them as consumption devices. To me, they have always given some kind of upgrade to each generation that made it worth it to upgrade. In this case it was the Apple Pencil capability for a high value for me.

Launch day Thursday morning, I ordered it for in store pickup in Space Gray 256gb, Cellular, Applecare+, the dark gray silicon Case and Cover, the Apple Pencil, and a USB-C to lightning cable. I went in before work, showed my ID, unboxed everything in the car, and restored the initial content to get it running. I have a Waterfield Designs Slipcase I used for the Air 2, with the Case and Cover, it's a little snug, but works how I need it to. It has a front pocket perfect for the Apple Pencil. I also bought some utility pencils and used the clip from one on the Apple Pencil to keep it from sliding out.

I am not an artist, I am in Sales. I take notes at all of my meetings, and too often go nuts trying to find something I wrote down like a phone number or dollar amount. By the end of the week I have these notes all over the place and it is very hard to organize. I could type them out on the iPad or iPhone, and tried it once, it was awkward, so I stuck with the pen and paper until now.

I downloaded Goodnotes and PDF Expert and am synching them to iCloud and Dropbox. I got an email from HR the other day with some PDF's to sign. It was great, I opened them up, signed, saved, and sent in seconds. Goodnotes has notebooks I can create, so I have one specifically for work with lined paper style and have been using that this week. I also have another for photo editing, and look forward to creating notebooks for each active account I am working on to keep everything organized. I really like the feature of adding logos or artwork to these created notebooks.

So day 1 that afternoon I had a sales meeting, took notes during the meeting followed by a sales presentation later in the day. I was able to show some before and after examples of my product, plus a video of our application. I could do this on my previous iPads too of course, but once again that pencil came out and the client started asking questions about it which added a little rapport during my presentation. The great thing is when filling out info for an evaluation I will be performing, I am able to write the info in the lines and spaces rather than hunting and pecking to type in the line or box or tabbing down or moving the cursor to the precise spot and hitting the spot above or below can be annoying.

That night, I got home and utilized the 256 gb of space moving over my usual content, but now instead of swapping videos in and out, I can have them when I need them along with my entire music collection and all apps with plenty of space to spare.

I loaded some content into the Photo Editing notebook I created and had a little fun editing some photos, and played around with some drawing. I was using it a lot, but it lasted me all day. Now I can plug the cable into the same brick I charge my Macbook with and fast charge it when I need to, if I need to.

This week I will be creating some templates for my presentations that I can use for Q&A's to make it even easier to fill in content for my evals.

2 weekdays, and a weekend, and I feel like I have found paper and pen all over again. I am finding this to be precisely what Steve Jobs described it to be on the very 1st iPad announcement....a perfect in between device. I am thinking I may get the keyboard at some point, but right now the virtual keyboard works fine for me.

I'm curious what other members are using, and plan to use theirs for. I always like threads like these, I always find new ideas on uses that I never thought of.

Great thread and post. It was an interesting read and nice to see a really positive account of the iPad Pro 9.7".

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Great writeup--my use patterns are different than yours, but I'm finding the same success. The Pro has quickly become my main computer, and I'm using the Smart Keyboard and the Pencil like crazy. Love them both.

Your comment about Steve Jobs is also, I believe, dead on. I think that the iPad is the kind of computer he originally set out to create from the start. Him sitting on the couch on stage in 2010 browsing through photos--he knew that was going to be the main type of activity that would be available on the iPad 1, so he presented it as such. It was all up to the developers after that. It has taken 6 years for Apple to evolve it into the capable machine that it is now, and now developers are being given a chance to respond. I love it.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
3 weeks ago, I wouldn't leave the house without a bag containing my MacBook, iPad Air 2, and my pad folio.

Now I just carry out my iPad Pro 9.7" in its Waterfield Smart Case and Apple Pencil in the pocket of the Smart Case. My big decision is if I should attach the Smart Cover are Smart Keyboard, which I am definitely happy I purchased the keyboard, thank you for the suggestion Wackery. Although I don't keep it attached all the time, when I know I will be typing a lot, I make sure to attach it or have it handy. The on screen keyboard isn't horrible, but nothing beats typing on real keys.

My Macbook is more of a desktop now plugged into my monitor primarily for when I need larger screens. Aside from using products that require updates via USB, there really is not much my Macbook can do that my iPad can't 80% of the time.

I have been teaching myself to use Pixelmator more, so when taking a screen shot of an overhead view from Maps for instance, I can circle the buildings my evaluator needs to look at. DropBox has become my filing system so when I am editing something on any other computer, I can save it on Dropbox and open and edit on my iPad. I don't think I have used paper and pen since I got this device. The battery life has been great too, no problem with lasting me my full work day.

I wanted to throw this update out there that could also be helpful for those that may try it. AT&T is having a sale right now , buy 3 accessories and get 20% off, this ends 5/29/16. This includes Apple accessories like the Apple Pencil, Smart Keyboard, and USB-C to Lightning cable, all 3 items in your cart will be discounted by 20%. They do not have the case or cover, but they have pretty much everything else. If you haven't yet bought these accessories, great way to do it. If you HAVE already bought them like I did, Apple Price matches. When I saw this sale, I called my store and told them less then 2 weeks after I purchased these accessories, AT&T has this sale. I asked if they could price match, she said they could, and had to look it up. The rep put me on hold a couple times and almost denied it because it was not a widely publicized sale. I told her it is all over their website, I paid a lot of money for the device and the accessories, this would be very helpful. In the end she offered a "one time credit" of $50 which gave me the 20% off the Apple Pencil and Smart Keyboard. Couldn't hurt to try it, hope this helps someone.

Any other real world experiences out there?

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
United States
3 weeks ago, I wouldn't leave the house without a bag containing my MacBook, iPad Air 2, and my pad folio.

Now I just carry out my iPad Pro 9.7" in its Waterfield Smart Case and Apple Pencil in the pocket of the Smart Case. My big decision is if I should attach the Smart Cover are Smart Keyboard, which I am definitely happy I purchased the keyboard, thank you for the suggestion Wackery. Although I don't keep it attached all the time, when I know I will be typing a lot, I make sure to attach it or have it handy. The on screen keyboard isn't horrible, but nothing beats typing on real keys.

My Macbook is more of a desktop now plugged into my monitor primarily for when I need larger screens. Aside from using products that require updates via USB, there really is not much my Macbook can do that my iPad can't 80% of the time.

I have been teaching myself to use Pixelmator more, so when taking a screen shot of an overhead view from Maps for instance, I can circle the buildings my evaluator needs to look at. DropBox has become my filing system so when I am editing something on any other computer, I can save it on Dropbox and open and edit on my iPad. I don't think I have used paper and pen since I got this device. The battery life has been great too, no problem with lasting me my full work day.

I wanted to throw this update out there that could also be helpful for those that may try it. AT&T is having a sale right now , buy 3 accessories and get 20% off, this ends 5/29/16. This includes Apple accessories like the Apple Pencil, Smart Keyboard, and USB-C to Lightning cable, all 3 items in your cart will be discounted by 20%. They do not have the case or cover, but they have pretty much everything else. If you haven't yet bought these accessories, great way to do it. If you HAVE already bought them like I did, Apple Price matches. When I saw this sale, I called my store and told them less then 2 weeks after I purchased these accessories, AT&T has this sale. I asked if they could price match, she said they could, and had to look it up. The rep put me on hold a couple times and almost denied it because it was not a widely publicized sale. I told her it is all over their website, I paid a lot of money for the device and the accessories, this would be very helpful. In the end she offered a "one time credit" of $50 which gave me the 20% off the Apple Pencil and Smart Keyboard. Couldn't hurt to try it, hope this helps someone.

I have a exceptionally fast iPad Air 2 that goes with me everyday to class and it works perfectly for when I'm typing notes, importing exporting PDFs into Notability and then exporting a completely edited and noted 6-8 page PDF. I send emails and annotate textbooks, and Safari would definitely be the workhorse of the group. It all chugs along perfectly and split view is amazing. At home I have a 2012 MacBook Pro for really only iTunes syncing/updating. Or if I have to type a longer paper I'll use it instead of the Air 2. Overall I am completely invested to my iPad and plan to upgrade to a 12.9 inch Pro in 2018 as I'll be going off to college and need more workspace/performance.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
I bought the Keyboard to try out. Jury is out. It is definitely smaller than I thought it would be, also a little more cramped than I thought too, but pretty easy to get used to. It's better than a Bluetooth keyboard though, and I do like that I could swap covers and use it only when I need it.

I'm currently playing with the Smart Keyboard myself on mine. It's a real toss up for me as well. It's actually the best super-compact keyboard I've used that is meant to be the same width as the iPad in landscape. Very similar typing error rate as something like the Apple Magic Keyboard which is fairly low for my typing speed. It actually works (mostly) on the lap. So it can be used in places where a Bluetooth keyboard (without a built-in stand) cannot really be used.

But it really can't be used as a stand in a pinch for me. I also tried to see if it would work at a low angle for using with the Pencil, and that idea is out the window. So I'm left with two options:

1) Smart Cover + Keyboard Cover where I use the keyboard cover when typing, and the Smart Cover for video and drawing (at the lower angle). Works in more places, but it means I wind up swapping covers more often. It also can disconnect due to flex as the magnets attaching to the iPad itself aren't as strong as I would like.

2) Smart Cover + Magic Keyboard. It doesn't work on the lap as well, and is less portable, but is also more flexible in terms of not having to carry two covers around, and just grabbing the keyboard when I need it and turning it on.

Doing some air travel soon, so I'll see if I can type something out on the two options in economy. That might actually be part of the deciding factor.

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton
The 9.7 keyboard is very stable, I don't feel it adds that much weight and they designed the silicone case and keyboard to match each other. Typing on it is a dream, I can't believe it's not standard. And if anything you can just take it off. I would say give it a shot if you're using it for an actual professional use, and if you don't like it return it with the 2 week return policy.

Basically if you liked the iPad Pro without the Smart Keyboard, you'll love it after.

Great comment, fully agree. The Smart Keyboard is amazing. I use it all day and love typing on it!!

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Over the last couple of weeks I have become even more enamored with my iPad Pro. The extra horsepower, the Smart Keyboard, and the Apple Pencil are what make all the difference for me when comparing to how I've used iPads in the past. I have been writing, creating artwork with the Pencil using 53's Paper app, working on audio projects in Ferrite, and then when my brain is fried at the end of the day, enjoying Netflix, Hulu, HBO, or Apple Music with awesome sound and video quality.

In a lot of ways, I'm more productive on my iPad Pro than I have ever been. I can create more types of content than I've ever been able to before on an iPad. And it's very freeing to not have to think about whether I need to bring my Macbook Pro or my iPad with me when I plan on working out of the house, because I know that my iPad Pro can handle everything I need to do. I know that some people just can't get past the lack of a file system or a trackpad, but I have not had a problem going without them. The iPad works just fine for me without those items. The biggest hurdle for me was just letting go of the old laptop paradigm and adjusting the way I do things. 99% of my new workflows are not any easier or harder than what I used to do on the laptop--just different.

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
But it really can't be used as a stand in a pinch for me. I also tried to see if it would work at a low angle for using with the Pencil, and that idea is out the window.

Interesting that you say this, as I do exactly this with zero problems. The low angle is easiest, actually, works just like the regular smart cover. There's a picture somewhere in one of these threads...found it!

Also if you slide the keyboard section up and down a little bit, you can adjust the angle slightly for more stability when you have it in the high angle "watch mode."

Can't say enough about how nice this machine is. Weird as it is, I am using this iPad way differently than any before it, and I've owned every single iPad model ever made, 7.9" 9.7" & 12.9".

Reactions: DougFNJ

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
Interesting that you say this, as I do exactly this with zero problems. The low angle is easiest, actually, works just like the regular smart cover. There's a picture somewhere in one of these threads...found it!

Aha, that is actually pretty good, and solves my failure to origami. I'll have to give that a shot. It seems to hold well, but I'll need more time with it.

Also if you slide the keyboard section up and down a little bit, you can adjust the angle slightly for more stability when you have it in the high angle "watch mode."

Can you define "up and down" a bit better? I've been playing with this to try to get a better angle like the default of the 12.9" seems to get without much luck.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
But it really can't be used as a stand in a pinch for me. I also tried to see if it would work at a low angle for using with the Pencil, and that idea is out the window.

I see that someone else has already pointed out how to prop it up at a low angle. What's the problem you are having with the high angle? It's the same configuration as the low angle, you just flip it so the iPad is standing up instead of lying down.

a26.jpg

Last edited:

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ

I enjoyed reading about how you are using the new 9.7 iPad Pro, but a few things struck me odd. If you are using the Smart Cover and the Silicon Case, I would personally forgo the slipcover, as the iPad should be more than adequately protected. What you would save in weight, could be offset by attaching the Smart Keyboard all the time. The Silicon case and Smart Keyboard are what I use to protect mine and it a makes a nice durable combination. Unfortunately, this setup does not have a convenient holder for the Apple Pencil. I got a small case to protect it and carry it separately. This is purely personal preference but I thought I would suggest it.

I also wanted to point out that the 9.7 Pro does not have the USB-C capabilities as the 12.9 Pro; therefore, you don't need the USB-C to Lightning Cable because fast charging is not supported. It's odd this is not stated explicitly by Apple in the Tech Specs, so correct me if I'm wrong. It's similar to the way Apple doesn't mention the always-on "Ask Siri" capability is only possible with the 9.7 Pro, where as the 12.9 Pro must be plugged in to do so.

Again, these are not criticisms, just suggestions I thought you might find helpful.

jeremiah256

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
Southern California
It's similar to the way Apple doesn't mention the always-on "Ask Siri" capability is only possible with the 9.7 Pro, where as the 12.9 Pro must be plugged in to do so.

I did not know this, thanks. Really feeling I'm making the right choice by delaying my 12.9" purchase until late this year.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
I enjoyed reading about how you are using the new 9.7 iPad Pro, but a few things struck me odd. If you are using the Smart Cover and the Silicon Case, I would personally forgo the slipcover, as the iPad should be more than adequately protected. What you would save in weight, could be offset by attaching the Smart Keyboard all the time. The Silicon case and Smart Keyboard are what I use to protect mine and it a makes a nice durable combination. Unfortunately, this setup does not have a convenient holder for the Apple Pencil. I got a small case to protect it and carry it separately. This is purely personal preference but I thought I would suggest it.

I also wanted to point out that the 9.7 Pro does not have the USB-C capabilities as the 12.9 Pro; therefore, you don't need the USB-C to Lightning Cable because fast charging is not supported. It's odd this is not stated explicitly by Apple in the Tech Specs, so correct me if I'm wrong. It's similar to the way Apple doesn't mention the always-on "Ask Siri" capability is only possible with the 9.7 Pro, where as the 12.9 Pro must be plugged in to do so.

Again, these are not criticisms, just suggestions I thought you might find helpful.

Thanks for the post Eagleglen. I had the slipcover for the Air 2 and it fits this setup nicely. I'm not concerned with the weight while in transit, I was referring to the weight when holding it while using. The Smartcover magnets keep it in place when folded back where the keyboard cover has to be held a certain way or else it will flop around. The slipcover gives it one extra layer of protection and its pocket keeps the pencil together, and that pocket is handy for paperwork and business cards too :)

Regarding the USB C to lightning, I have the 12" MacBook. I bought the cable for convenience so I don't have to carry 2 charging bricks, and a USB C to USB cable to plug in for syncing. I don't get "quick charging", but it does charge it. I mainly brought up the cable for the 3rd accessory to get that AT&T discount.

Didn't take it as criticism at all my friend. One member trying to help another. :)

Reactions: eagleglen

Cptnodegard

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2013

This app adds a handwriting keyboard that will allow you to do handwriting conversion writing in any app that uses the normal on-screen keyboard, and it's stupidly accurate to boot: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/myscript-stylus-handwriting/id931394264?mt=8

Retops

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2008
Oklahoma
I am a consultant and have adopted the IPad Pro 9.7 (256GB) as my main out of the office work machine. Typical day:
early AM: Read and respond to emails. Read NY Times on line. Transfer any files that I might need that aren't already on the IPad
Client meeting: This is a very complex meeting, so I opt to type all my notes using the smart keyboard. Works great of course and I note that the smaller footprint of my machine contrasts to others there using laptops.
Conference call: I open Notability and take handwritten notes of the things of interest. Amazing how much time these type of calls waste for the actual information received.
Working on first case: did quite a bit of internet searching and document review. Marked items of interest and save them all in the case notebook on Notability.
After lunch: Meetings with subcontractors. First case involves numerous documents the contractor has mailed to me. I have them all on the IPad and we can look at them together, commenting on items of interest. He has some photos I need, so I load them on the IPad. Second contractor arrives and his case involves several financial items on spreadsheets that I download. I take notes with the pencil, highlight items, and we agree on what we will do on this matter going forward. Save everything to appropriate notebook.
Late afternoon: Using the IPad to pay bills on line, update accounting for days activity, update calendars (personal and business) and finalize schedule for tomorrow, deal with emails, write up my ideas for a briefing I will be doing the next morning to a potential client, and prepare a one page proposal that I will print out and leave with her after the briefing. Chat with two partners located some distance away on an encrypted application.
Evening: I am a nightowl so I catch a show I am following on Netflix using earphones so as not to disturb my spouse.

Bottom line: I still have my old Macbook Air and I use it for heavy duty typing at home, but don't carry it out much at all. The IPad Pro travels around the world with me and only rarely do I even think about needing the MBA. I use the keyboard a lot; the pencil less so. Battery life on this thing is great and it has rapidly become an indispensable work tool.

Last edited:

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
I see that someone else has already pointed out how to prop it up at a low angle. What's the problem you are having with the high angle? It's the same configuration as the low angle, you just flip it so the iPad is standing up instead of lying down.

It does that, but unlike the 12.9", or the regular smart cover, it winds up almost vertical, and not very stable unless the surface is flat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.