Day old MacBook Pro "Not Charging"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by melissdahl, Aug 8, 2009.

1. melissdahl macrumors newbie

I'm going to try to explain this as best as I can...

I just got my 15" macbook pro yesterday from the online store, and everything was working fine, until this morning.

When I plug in my wall charger to my mac, it says "Not Charging" next to the battery. It appears as if it is charging (the light on the cord is orange). There is the "lightning bolt" in the battery indicator on the screen, but not the "fork" shape. (If that makes any sense).

When the charger is plugged in, it says the time remaining on my battery is 0:19 and when I unplug it, it reads 7:47, which I know is almost a full battery.

I called apple this morning, and they referred me to an authorized apple dealer in my area (the closest apple store is 2 hours away).

Weird thing is, my 13" MacBook that I have had for a year also started doing the same thing, just this morning. I have tried multiple outlets as well as both wall chargers and the charger from the LED display I recently purchased and nothing seems to change.

I took both computers there and an apple technician won't be in until Monday, so I left my 13" and am going back on Monday with my pro.

The time remaining on my battery is also constantly changing (It has gone from 0:19 to 0:20 to 0:16 to 0:17 just in the time I have been typing this.

I'm hoping someone can help! :(

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Take it back. It is a faulty machine bought less than 48 hours ago. Take it back. I don't care what the suggestions are that may fix it...it is faulty today.

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
  4. melissdahl thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, I did this... and it now reads "charged" instead of "Not charging" the battery is at 98% and the light on the cord is orange. Does it sound like the problem is fixed?

5. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

sounds like a fire waiting to happen....

apple store time

6. melissdahl thread starter macrumors newbie

i wish i had one i could go to. time to give my friends a call who work there.. 2 hours away :(

however it is showing the charging symbol now? the little cord fork thing

7. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

i would leave it unplugged and let the battery drain to nothing , then reset the SMC and let it recharge.

that should clear up any issue with charging unless somthing is faulty.

8. celticpride678

Have you tried resetting the SMC (System Management Controller)?

9. melissdahl thread starter macrumors newbie

yup, I did both that and what someone above said to do. I think/HOPE one of these fixed the problem.... it now says my battery is charged when I right click and my cord is lighting up green! I'm still going to have the apple technician look at it on monday, just for my peace of mind.

10. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I think you're fine now. Resetting the PRAM usually does the trick. Sometimes memory gets stuck and resetting the PRAM releases it. Worst case is to reset the SMC. Since the PRAM reset worked you should be good to go, don't panic, these things happen, that's what resetting PRAM and SMC are in place for.

11. celticpride678

I had a similar issue with my Late 2008 MacBook, but the light on the MagSafe just did not work. All I did was, reset the PRAM and SMC, and viola, everything was back to normal and have not had an issue with that ever since.

12. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

When you have the charger plugged in, the time indicated is not the battery time remaining, but the time until the battery is fully charged. Not charging just means that your battery is almost full, and it's not going to charge it because it's detrimental to the battery to keep charging it if it's >= 95% charged already. I don't think there is anything wrong with your Mac.

There is nothing wrong with this:

Attached Files:

13. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Ahh Bill...

You beat me to it. :p

14. kryptonianjorel macrumors 6502

Nothing is wrong with your laptop. It won't charge if the total charge of the battery is 95% or greater.

15. celticpride678

Hang on, why does my Mac's battery charge all the way then?

16. kryptonianjorel macrumors 6502

Because you started charging it when it was under 95% capacity??
    The computer isn't going to constantly top off your battery because some of the power leaks out, that is harmful to the battery.

17. celticpride678

Ah, there we go. I usually charge the battery until 90% and then let it die until 5% and do it all over again. Thanks for the help.

18. melissdahl thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you for this!! That makes complete sense now. I'm a worrier!