Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

First day pre-orders for the HomePod, which became available late last month, were higher than day one pre-orders for several other smart speakers including the Sonos One and the Google Home Max in the United States.

The data was shared by NPD Group and was gathered using NPD's Checkout service, which tracks consumer purchase behavior across multiple retailers.

homepodhandson-800x450.jpg

According to the data, HomePod beat out all other smart speaker first day pre-orders with the exception of the Amazon Echo Dot.

Though HomePod pre-orders reportedly outsold other smart speaker pre-orders, NPD Group did not provide data on how many HomePod pre-orders Apple sold in comparison to smart speakers from other manufacturers, so while interesting, the data here doesn't offer up a look at just how well the HomePod did.

We haven't seen any real estimates of how well the HomePod did following its launch, but Apple's next earnings call should give us a bit of insight. Apple won't break out HomePod sales, but changes to the "Other" category in the company's earnings report may provide hints.

The Other category includes products like the Apple TV, Apple Watch, AirPods, iPod, Beats, and other Apple-branded and third-party accessories. Going forward, it will also include the HomePod.

While we don't know how many HomePods Apple has sold to date, the device did stay in stock and readily available for days after it became available for pre-order on January 26. In fact, HomePod was available for launch day delivery through February 7, just a couple of days before the HomePod's official February 9 launch.

Data on HomePod sales may not be available, but analyst Gene Munster with Loop Ventures recently predicted HomePod will capture 12 percent of global smart speaker unit share in 2018, with estimated unit sales of 7 million.

Article Link: Day One HomePod Pre-Orders in U.S. Beat Out Most Other Smart Speaker Pre-Orders

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Though HomePod pre-orders reportedly outsold other smart speaker pre-orders, NPD Group did not provide data on how many HomePod pre-orders Apple sold in comparison to smart speakers from other manufacturers, so while interesting, the data here doesn't offer up a look at just how well the HomePod did.

So why was this even posted on MR?

Bonte

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2002
Bruges, Belgium
I'm eager to get one when available in my language, i dumped my low-end stereo system a long time ago for a iPod HiFI and never looked back as i'm not a audio guy. I'm going to place the Home Pod on top of my hifi for the extra nerdy look.

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
Do you have any information?

HomePods only listen for the "Hey, Siri" command. Until that command is issued a HomePod doesn't keep nor send ANYTHING else. Its microphones are "deaf" to everything except Hey, Siri. Only after you've said Hey, Siri does the HomePod then begin a connection with the outside world. And everything you say after Hey, Siri is sent in encrypted form to Apple's servers and it is NOT retained. Once Siri responds with an answer (which is also sent encrypted) or by playing the music you asked for the command you issued is forgotten.

So, Apple's servers aren't recording (saving) anything except the type of music you like (which is stored encrypted). Your musical preferences are tracked to improve Siri's ability to play or recommend the type of music you'd most likely enjoy.

Mark

donster28

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
Another overpriced product lacking connectivity , 2 steps behind the competitors. the string of flops is adding up.
Owning it since launch I can honestly say to you that it is an awesome piece of tech. The bass on this thing is astonishing for its size even at a lower volume and being able to summon Siri even when the music is blasting from it (even way across my room) is amazing. Having a million+ songs at my disposal on a single command is super convenient.

Yes, it's categorized as one of those smart speakers, but when you're able to actually use and hear it, you'll start realizing how different it is.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.