Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

engrwpride

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2008
I am just wondering how careful the general user is with his or her notebook. I realize this may sound like a weird question but i have seen a wide range. Some people nearly drop there notebooks on the desks (only seen for old junky PCs) while others treat their notebook like its a fragile glass sculpture about to break. You here no sounds when they put the computers down. Any input would be great.

mBurns

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2006
USA
Get some protective gear if you're super anal and picky -- (i.e. speck case, marware protection pack, iSkin, etc). Afterwards, enjoy your machine and just make sure not to dirty it up by putting it on water, food, etc.

That's my philosophy I use with my computers! Granted, some say I am quite picky. But hey, if you're spending $1000+ for a machine, that's not a small amount of cash in my book and thus is definitely worth protecting.

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2007
Consider a neoprene sleeve such as the booq vyper m3 to store it in when not in use. That will give it some good basic protection.

If you have young kids around then you may want to consider a pelican hardback case...

mAc-warrior

macrumors member
May 11, 2004
If you're carrying it around a bit day-to-day I would suggest a sleeve as well. I have an Incase sleeve for my MBP that I use to take it with me in my backpack to University. Keeps it from getting bumped and scratched in my backpack. I do treat it fairly delicately when setting it down and such, but it is made to be used and for most normal activities they are pretty durable. Be careful with it but don't preoccupy yourself with it, I would say. Just enjoy the machine!

--mAc

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
I just set mine down, treating like the expensive electronic device it is, fragile, but not priceless.

EchohcE

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2008
I use the InCase Nylon Plus carrier. Very minimalistic, light, easy to use.

When it comes to handling, I tend to treat it like the $2700 machine it is...it's probably the only one I'll ever get, so I don't take many chances.

SoybeanStasher

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2008
I'm usually pretty anal about how softly I set down my laptop, but my girlfriend just drops it down with no ill effects in the past year. I suppose I don't need to be nearly as careful as I am.

In general I think I tend to give more value to my electronics (laptop, iPhone, cameras, etc.) whereas my girlfriend and most users just see these as tools to be used. I readily admit that the latter view is far healthier. I wouldn't worry about my hammers getting scratches, for example.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
I am just wondering how careful the general user is with his or her notebook. I realize this may sound like a weird question but i have seen a wide range. Some people nearly drop there notebooks on the desks (only seen for old junky PCs) while others treat there notebook like its a fragile glass sculpture about to break. You here no sounds when they put the computers down. Any input would be great.

Hmm... Well.. I'm gonna get cursed for this.
I dump mine in a bag and throw the bag about... not killed it yet or made any visible dents. Don't have AppleCare, don't really care that much, it's just a tool. Do have insurance though... old for new!

Quick! Drop it :)

sehnsucht77

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2008
I am just wondering how careful the general user is with his or her notebook. I realize this may sound like a weird question but i have seen a wide range. Some people nearly drop there notebooks on the desks (only seen for old junky PCs) while others treat their notebook like its a fragile glass sculpture about to break. You here no sounds when they put the computers down. Any input would be great.

odd question. if you want your stuff to last a while, you should treat it well, especially if you use your own money to purchase your tools. some college kids just have dear ol bank of Mom and Dad buy em a new computer if one breaks down so treating their computers like trash isn't going to hurt their wallets at all.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
What do you mean drop it on the desk? I have yet to see people do that with their computers.

engrwpride

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2008
Some of my professors put one end of their laptop's rubber feet down and then let the other just clunk on the desk. That's the extreme of it just saying...i have seen a range of care.

sehnsucht77

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2008
Some of my professors put one end of their laptop's rubber feet down and then let the other just clunk on the desk. That's the extreme of it just saying...i have seen a range of care.

...and how does it affect you? i am still trying to follow the point that you are trying to get at. are you concerned that your laptop has a certain abuse threshold that might cause it to malfunction? i suspect that as long as you dont treat your computer like a frisbee, you should be good.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC

I would say that's the right way and don't get emotion about your computer. If you babied like crazy and you ding it one teeny bit, you'll lose sleep over it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.