Day-To-Night - iMovie

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by JemmaSchmidt, Sep 7, 2012.

1. JemmaSchmidt macrumors newbie

I'm looking for an effect that will give my video shot during the day a feel at night. I have to shoot at my school and can't be there at night. Just wondering if there is an effect that I can use in iMovie to do this.

2. daybreak macrumors 6502a

What version of iMovie do you have?. Do you understand the interface of iMovie?
    If you open iMovie and look at the right hand side you will have some boxes. Open one by one and see what they are, eventually, you come to one with effects and in there you will find what you are looking for.

3. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

This link should help out because it also gets you to become accustomed to more than the software, case in point setting your camera up better for a desired effect if you choose to do so it will help you out later on but is not the be all end all.

There are several things you can do and the easiest would be shot a short clip around the same time(s) you plan on doing the shot later on for. Bring that into iMovie and play around with the color correction and then the effects settings. Once you come up with something you like take note and repeat it. I should mention that you should make notes of what you try because if you are just starting out you might stumble upon something you really like and forget what you did to achieve that look, maybe.

Remember that not everything is or should be done in post, I have used bed sheets to diffuse light be it an open window or to make an area darker than it was because of the time of day. Nice and cheap but some prep goes a long way in certain situations.

With regards to iMovie you can apply transitions over effects and use the "opacity" slider to make things better or worse. Just remember you can only do so much with iMovie as most of what you would see in TV or Film is a heavy positive understanding about light and lighting.

If you type in iMovie Day to Night on YouTube a bunch of stuff will come up and you can see most will be adjusting the color settings and such more so than an effect fwiw.

Check out the link below and good luck…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z13xHXlNW9w&feature=plcp