Day trip to NYC

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by zap2, Aug 24, 2009.

1. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

So I'm planning a little day trip to New York City, nothing to fancy, but I've lived fairly close my whole life and have never been there....so I figured I should change that!

So I'm looking for places to stop. So far I have the flagship Apple Store, flagship Nokia store, Sony Store. But that isn't really a full day of stuff. I'm sure I'll find some cool places once I'm there, but I'd love some more ideas of what to see/do when I'm there.

Any ideas?

2. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

If it's a nice day a walk through central park would be worthwhile. The east village, soho and chinatown are worth checking out as well. There's way more to the city than corporate flagship stores ;) You can see quite a few things in a day if you use the subway effectively....though you should bring a map so you can find the stations and know what trains to take.

3. str1f3 macrumors 68000

I'd recommend taking in the arts and check out the music scene. Check the Times, it'll tell you some good events happening that day. Just be impulsive and not a clichè! :)

4. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I agree with this, and the post above mine. I'd love to just walk around a bunch of different neighborhoods and check out the architecture, and then go to some museums. You can buy electronics anywhere.

5. zali0n macrumors regular

Man I love NYC and miss it! I've been there 3 times now, summer, autum and winter. There's all the tourist sites to do as well as all the hidden gems you find. Lunch in Greenwich Village, the shops in SoHo. I'd stay there for a week instead of a day :)

6. phoobo macrumors regular

Move there!

New York is the greatest city on the planet, and one of the outstanding achievements in the history of humanity. Everyone should live there, at least for a year or two.

If you've never really spent time in New York but live nearby, it's like saying you lived near Rome in ancient times, or lived near Paris in the 1920s, but never visited. This is a historical opportunity that relatively few humans in history have gotten, and one that someone in your position should take. Life is short.

Find out what beauty is.
    Find out what food is supposed to taste like.
    Find out what it is to have a conversation.

It's also the easiest place in the world to make money, if you're worried about that. And it's the safest city in the US over 1 mil.

Consider it.

(I agree with the others above: forget the electronics stores; buy that stuff on the Net. The Apple flagship store on 5th Avenue is a big, chaotic, depressing underground garage. Go to the Frick on 70th and 5th ave, and the Metropolitan Museum, and just walk, walk, walk through the streets and the parks and down by the river. The place is magic. And get yourself the greatest hamburger on earth at the spotted pig. Ask for roquefort ON THE SIDE, not on the burger, because the meat is so good on its own you won't believe what you're tasting: http://www.thespottedpig.com/

on google maps: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=314 w 11th street nyc&spn=0.012298583984375,0.011627633647123048&hl=en

7. InvalidUserID macrumors 6502a

InvalidUserID

First time in NYC?

Times Square: Get that out of the way
    53rd & 6th: Grab some cart food. Look for the long line (the one AFTER 8pm, yellow bags, circle plates).
    Central Park: Nice walk

Museum, Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island, Yankee Stadium, Empire State Building: You could probably squeeze two in (the later two), or spend the day at a museum.

One day isn't really enough.

I lived there during college and still didn't see/do everything.

8. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

One day isn't enough? Heck, one week isn't enough.

If you're in NJ, just take the train in to Penn Station. Easy peasy.

I too would go light on the shopping (though, of course, NYC probably has the best shopping in the world) and just wander some of the neighborhoods, take in the parks, museums, food, bars, hop on the subway and explore different areas. Good times.

9. savoirfaire macrumors 6502

savoirfaire

When I make a trip to NYC, I make a point of stopping by Katz's for a pastrami sandwich. I don't care what anyone says... BEST PASTRAMI IN THE WORLD!

10. Quad 2.5 G5 =) macrumors 6502

If you are going to NYC, go to the Empire state building, and take your macbook/pro/air (or any other Apple laptop) Get a picture taken, and show it off here. :)

11. InvalidUserID macrumors 6502a

InvalidUserID

Don't lose your ticket and be prepared for some real NY attitude with the employees.

When my parents came out from California, first place I took them to was Katz and they asked "Whats wrong with these guys?". LOL.