Daystar 040 , insulate or not?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by thewap, Aug 28, 2016.

1. thewap macrumors demi-god

thewap

Hi, installing the Daystar 040 accelerator and the Asante MacCon 30 in my SE/30 via the stratos adapter.
    (pretty tight!) - (and installed 128MB ram)

The 040 accelerator sits pretty close to the Quantum Lightning 730 HDD, and am wondering is it better to insulate the top of the HDD, or insulate the 040 accel - as per the stratos instructs ?.

If insulating either, what method / materials do you guys use?.

Thanks for any help.

IMG_0576.JPG

2. MacTech68, Aug 29, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2016

MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

You could go for a low-profile HD mounting bracket, but then you may lose the led holder that shines the HD activity LED through the front window.

Otherwise, if you have scrap-only power sweep board, you could cut an insulator to size using the white insulator card from same.

Another option would be to get some rubber tubing, cut a slot along length ways, and glue that to the top lengths of the mounting bracket sides (like a bumper facing upwards - if you get my meaning - IIRC, a half height drive sits slightly lower than the sides of the HD mounting bracket - feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. :)

As an aside - WOW - squirrel cage fan! o_O

Please make 'tripply' sure you fan is working! :eek:

EDIT: just had another idea. A small self-adhesive foot, of sufficient height to create a large enough gap, allowing for flexing, stuck to the underside of the DayStar card.

3. thewap, Aug 29, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2016

thewap thread starter macrumors demi-god

thewap

I like the insulator card idea - gotta rumage through my stuff.. - Yep the drive sits just a little below the bracket sides.

Yeah the squirrel cage fan is neat, works great, this is an early SE/30 with socketed CPU board.

Thanks for the tips ! (was brain freezing)

Edit!: hmmm rubber feet! I do have 1/4" thick neoprene with adhesive on one side, I could cut feet!

Great idea!