Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Student and former Apple intern Punya Chatterjee has developed a slick-looking free tvOS app called DayView that acts as a personal dashboard for Apple TV.

dayview-apple-tv.jpg

Similar to Today View on iPhone, the DayView interface displays widgets that hook into useful online platforms and personal services, providing at-a-glance information in a unified dashboard.

You can customize the dashboard wallpaper and select which widgets go where in the dashboard panels, plus they automatically refresh, so you could leave the app up on your TV screen during your morning routine, for example.

DayView-Dashboard-Apple-TV-1-800x450.jpg

Currently the app includes widgets for weather, commute time, Google calendar, stocks, Twitter trends, and news headlines, but Chatterjee plans to build several more as well as improve the existing widgets, with better dashboard customization options also in the offing.

Possibilities for future updates include custom wallpapers, additional news sources for the news widget, HomeKit integration, extra calendar view options, extendable widgets, and more.

DayView-Dashboard-for-Apple-TV-2-800x450.jpg

Apple Calendar support would be an obvious win, but Apple's EventKit framework is currently only available for macOS and iOS, although the developer is looking at alternative syncing solutions in the meantime.

DayView 1.0 is a free download on Apple TV from the tvOS App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: DayView 1.0 Brings a Personal Dashboard to Your Apple TV

Gorms

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
UK
This is a really cool idea, and looks great, although I see its limitations on tvOS.

Punya, if you see this, I’d like this as my Mac screensaver somehow, where you can plug into Events framework and I could potentially act on something shown on the dashboard if possible

Apple if you see this, this is what the long neglected Mac dashboard (actually, is that even still there in Mojave?) and even notification centre on macOS should take cues from

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I always liked stuff like this when it was on movies featuring future, friendly tech. Always wondered why iGoogle, Yahoo Homepage, and other things like that died off. I guess they couldn't monetize it?

I would pay to have this on my MacBook .... Apple TV? It's nice but I don't watch a ton of TV.

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
This looks great.

I can see why, perhaps, Apple don’t offer this - it would be one less reason to own one of their more capable computers.

But that negative could also be flipped to a positive, turning an Apple TV + iCloud dashboard into another reason to buy into the Apple ecosystem.

If Apple invested in developing this kind of feature, they could also use it as a basis for addtional small (or large) screens around the home - the idea Amazon and Facebook have recently peddled, but done right.

Patrick-Photo

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2012
Apple should hire this person and let the App mature a bit so it can be added to a future TvOS update.

Couple of cool options would be: start your favourite streaming radio/tv stream, browse the programming schedule and set a reminder/record action or something like that :).

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
The location service doesn't work even after I granted rights to the app. Doesn't load my weather, constant spinning on the commute widget.

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011
It’s ok but I’d rather have the cool aereal 4k screensavers that Apple puts, those are quite mesmerizing.

Reactions: orbital~debris

NeXT MacRumors

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2011
I think it looks pretty good!
Incorporate iCloud Calendar, Dark Sky, Biking Times, & auto turn off/on for the Apple TV (HomeKit?) so that I can wake up, it’s already on. Leave and it turns off approximately when I leave the house every morning to make it truly seamless and not burn into the screen. Great Job!

Dobbs2

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2008
This is a really cool idea, and looks great, although I see its limitations on tvOS.

Punya, if you see this, I’d like this as my Mac screensaver somehow, where you can plug into Events framework and I could potentially act on something shown on the dashboard if possible

Apple if you see this, this is what the long neglected Mac dashboard (actually, is that even still there in Mojave?) and even notification centre on macOS should take cues from

They post a little bit on the AppleTV subreddit if you are interested.

https://www.reddit.com/r/appletv/co...developer_and_i_just/?st=JO380CHH&sh=83d654cc

Last edited:
Reactions: Suvhomoy10

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK

Yeah this would be really nice - an updated dashboard overlay. It's still there in Mojave, but I turned it off in High Sierra because the widgets are SO dated it just doesn't' fit anymore...it's weird they've kept it around. I actually used it for years after everyone already considered it dead as I thought it was the quickest way to get a calculator up.

An overlay is still useful I think - especially on a hot key or a trackpad gesture and if it was updated to look like this and had actionable stuff on it and Homekit shortcuts, it would beat having separate apps open for all the little things like that too.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
This seems nice but I can't think of a good reason to it this in my house, but something like this could be cool as a dashboard for a busy office or something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.