Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple TV dashboard app DayView has received its first major update and a couple of much-requested features, courtesy of developer and former Apple intern Punya Chatterjee.

dayview-apple-tv.jpg

For anyone unfamiliar with DayView, the app has similarities to the Today View on iPhone, in that it displays widgets that hook into useful online platforms and personal services, providing at-a-glance information in a unified dashboard.

You can customize the dashboard wallpaper and select which widgets go where in the dashboard panels, plus they automatically refresh, so you could leave the app up on your TV screen during your morning routine, for example.

Since we last looked at DayView, Chatterjee has implemented iCloud/Apple calendar support (the calendar widget can now read calendars that come in the standardized iCalendar format) and the Commute widget now has a transit option, which uses Apple Maps' estimates, just like for walking or driving.

The big addition in version 1.2 of DayView however is support for HomeKit widgets, including Scenes, Accessories, and Camera.

dayview-1.2-homekit.jpg

As this is a new feature, control over accessories is currently limited to toggling them on and off, likewise when triggering scenes. Meanwhile the camera widget lets you stream from any HomeKit cameras and you can select the widget to switch between them if you have multiple.

Elsewhere in this update, Chatterjee has included an optional $2.99 in-app purchase for DayView Pro, which gets users additional premium features including the ability to add multiples of widgets (to view weather conditions for several places at once, for instance) and the ability to use pictures in your iCloud photo library as wallpapers.

Development will continue for DayView, and Chatterjee plans to expand the social widgets, flesh out the HomeKit accessories support, fix reported bugs, and otherwise respond to feedback and feature requests from users.

DayView 1.0 is a free download on Apple TV from the tvOS App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Apple TV DashBoard App 'DayView' Updated With HomeKit Support

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Won't be long before Apple copies this and then bans this app. And with Apple TV it will just disappear magically just like my purchased Disney videos.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Why Apple is not on top of this to stimulate development is beyond me.
They are too busy with the iPhone and Watchbands.
[doublepost=1544708992][/doublepost]
And with Apple TV it will just disappear magically just like my purchased Disney videos.
What do you mean "disappear"?

Did you purchase videos from iTunes and you can no longer access them?
[doublepost=1544709534][/doublepost]
I love the flyover screensavers
I used to, but the Hawaii ones never come up anymore on my 4K ATV.

Reactions: JosephAW

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
I'd like this fo iPad as well. We have one affixed to our wall we use to control various HomeKit devices and it'd be great to have t his to quick launch.

Reactions: JRobinsonJr

woode

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2007
This is almost the tvOS app I've been waiting for. HomeKit integration is a little wonky: Grouped devices show up individually, as do the individual buttons on my Hue Tap (I need that device to not show up at all). It should pull my grouping and favorites info from HomeKit, not just the devices. Nonetheless, this is a good first iteration of HomeKit support.

It also needs some kind of active overview when it's on the top shelf of the home screen.

I'm looking forward to seeing this app evolve.

And something to mention:
They are too busy with the iPhone and Watchbands.
The people who work on watch bands are not the people capable of working on Apple TV. Nor should they be.

Reactions: tromboneaholic

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
This is almost the tvOS app I've been waiting for. HomeKit integration is a little wonky: Grouped devices show up individually, as do the individual buttons on my Hue Tap (I need that device to not show up at all). It should pull my grouping and favorites info from HomeKit, not just the devices. Nonetheless, this is a good first iteration of HomeKit support.

It also needs some kind of active overview when it's on the top shelf of the home screen.

I'm looking forward to seeing this app evolve.

And something to mention:

The people who work on watch bands are not the people capable of working on Apple TV. Nor should they be.

I used the app for a little while this morning, and it does show promise. I think you are right about the top shelf. It seems a bit static as a TV app right now, but I could see myself referring to it more often if their was some info in the Top Shelf preview.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
That is not what my post said and I think it was obvious the comment was made with tongue in cheek.

If it wasn't clear when reading it, then this post should have cleared things up for you:
it just seems like watch bands sometimes get more attention than some of their other products, such as the ATV.

DogHouseDub

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2007
SF
Downloaded and paid to support developer. Great start with some rough edges. Look forward to future updates.

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
I agree, it just seems like watch bands sometimes get more attention than some of their other products, such as the ATV.

Ironically, on MACRUMORS it gets more attention. But as far as Apple goes, the opposite is true. The only thing they’ve done lately is introduce new colors.

It’s simply become a meme to mock the watch bands on MR. You guys are giving the watch bands more attention than even Apple has given them lately. Go figure.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Ironically, on MACRUMORS it gets more attention.
This might be true, but the attention the watch bands get from Apple wasn't the intent of my post, it was about the lack of attention the ATV gets. I personally don't have an issue with Apple's watch bands, that was not the intent of my comment.

But as far as Apple goes, the opposite is true. The only thing they’ve done lately is introduce new colors.
It could be argued that this is more that what the ATV has been getting.

tvOS is basically the same with very little change since launch and most would probably argue that the changes it has gotten were stuff it should have been launched with.

Almost every tvOS update article on MR gets this or something similar:
It's not clear what new features or bug fixes are included in the tvOS 12.1 update. We didn't find any major new changes during the tvOS 12.1 beta testing period, and Apple doesn't provide release notes for tvOS releases, so there's not often a lot to go on.

It is also good to keep in mind that Apple's watch bands are accessories of one of their devices, not the device itself. Maybe a close analogy would be if Apple would show as much attention to re-skinning the Siri Remote (not saying they should).

olorsha

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2011
Is there a way to automate the AppleTV to turn on and open an app at a scheduled time each day? I really like the look of this app and potential it seems to have, but if it can't automatically display this in the morning without my prompting, it's not a very practical solution. In the time it takes to wake up the ATV and launch the app, I could have gotten weather, traffic, and calendar information for the day many times over using other means.

Reactions: DogHouseDub

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
Is there a way to automate the AppleTV to turn on and open an app at a scheduled time each day? I really like the look of this app and potential it seems to have, but if it can't automatically display this in the morning without my prompting, it's not a very practical solution. In the time it takes to wake up the ATV and launch the app, I could have gotten weather, traffic, and calendar information for the day many times over using other means.
Siri Shortcuts might do it. I haven't played around with them yet, but there is one to turn Apple TV on:

https://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-turn-on-apple-tv-using-siri-shortcuts-and-voice-command/

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I want to be able to ask Siri via HomePod to turn on my tv and show me this with one Siri shortcut command.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I want to be able to ask Siri via HomePod to turn on my tv and show me this with one Siri shortcut command.

Do you mean without pressing the Siri button, similar to Hey Siri? I wish tvOS was capable of this.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Do you mean without pressing the Siri button, similar to Hey Siri? I wish tvOS was capable of this.

Yeah, I want to get out of bed and say, “Hey siri, show me my dashboard” and my homepod will hear me and tell my tv and apple tv (in my bedroom) to turn on and open my dashboard so that I can look at it while getting ready. Then when I leave I’d say, “Hey siri, I’m leaving” and it will turn everything off.
I prefer to have homepod pick up Hey Siri and relay commands to my apple tv since it has sensitive mics. I don’t always have an apple device on my person, and I don’t want to have to shout.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Yeah, I want to get out of bed and say, “Hey siri, show me my dashboard” and my homepod will hear me and tell my tv and apple tv (in my bedroom) to turn on and open my dashboard so that I can look at it while getting ready. Then when I leave I’d say, “Hey siri, I’m leaving” and it will turn everything off.
I prefer to have homepod pick up Hey Siri and relay commands to my apple tv since it has sensitive mics. I don’t always have an apple device on my person, and I don’t want to have to shout.
This sounds like what I would like to see too. Although, I don't have a HomePod, and am not really sure what they are capable of.

I know that people have issues with privacy and having the Apple TV's Siri Remote always listening, but just like the iPhone, Apple could have an option to turn this feature off.

Siri is so limited on the tvOS, which is pretty sad.

I think that Apple is falling behind when it comes to this kind of stuff. The ATV could be an amazing product, it just seems like it is forgotten about at Apple.

“Hey siri, show me my dashboard”
This dashboard should of be something that Apple had preinstalled at the tvOS launch. I am not sure if Apple would ever do anything like this as they seemed to be doubling down on the horrible TV APP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.