DC 2.3 G5 RAM issues

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jimbob200521, Dec 28, 2016.

1. jimbob200521 macrumors newbie

So I've been getting an urge to play with my DC 2.3 G5 lately and noticed that it is only detecting 2gb of RAM (should be 4gb). I have tried reseating all the DDR2 sticks in different slots and I get varying degrees of success. I have even tried swapping some 1gb sticks in for good measure. No matter the order of RAM or size of sticks, it always detects 2-3gb of RAM, never the 4+ that is in there. Even when the 1gb sticks are in and it decides to detect them, it only sees them at 512mb sticks.

Any ideas on what to try here? Getting frustrated that I cannot get my G5 to see all the RAM that's installed.

2. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

Has it worked in the past? Did you install the RAM recently? Is it PC2-4200 RAM? Are some of the sticks ECC RAM?

Make sure you don't mix different speed RAM sticks together, there may be issues recognizing them, same thing goes for ECC RAM. Make sure it is all the same speed RAM!

3. jimbob200521 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a total set of 8 DDR2 sticks of the same speed, brand, size, etc. I also have 4 1gb sticks but they are different pairs. It seems totally random how they work together.