DC 2.3 G5 worthwhile getting?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by VanneDC, Sep 3, 2016.

1. VanneDC macrumors 6502a

VanneDC

There is a guy down the road selling a DC G5, and i had one of those a bunch of years ago with a quadro 4500 flashed (from PC) and used to run quite nicely. I remember playing that return to castle wolfenstein on it, and it was a lot of fun.

I think this box only has the crappy fx5200 in it, but i just so happen to have in my possession a pc version of the quadro 4500 :)

what apps will still work on the G5 running Leopard?

and what about a web browser? anything that runs ok?, probably would need access to hotmail and crappy (time wasting) Facebook. any cheap sata cards?

I still have a large library of PPC games, including WC3 (one of my all time fave games) and diablo 1 and 2, and star craft. and of course the afore mentioned Wolfenstein. The biggest drama i can foresee is the monitors used now..

its been a while since i have been in the PPC world.

Might be a worth while trip back?

Cheers

2. California macrumors 68040

California

If it's cheap and the dual core, not the dual processor 2.3, it's a nice machine; I owned a couple of them and it's the fastest PMG5 you can get that does NOT have liquid cooling. The quadro will not work on the earlier dual processor 2.3 G5, of course.

3. Dronecatcher macrumors 68020

Dronecatcher

Why do you advise against the DP model? I have one and it's not too far behind my Quad in what it can do?

If the price is right, go for it - it'll still cope well with modern web with TenFourFox and Leopard Webkit and you can watch HD video. I'd definitely upgrade the card though, if only to something with more VRAM - if you weren't gaming it's not a necessity but as you are....

4. LightBulbFun macrumors 68000

LightBulbFun

2.3Ghz G5s are the fastest factory air cooled units worth picking up if the price is right heh esp if its a dual core 2.3 (DP ones are still good too) just a note no 2.3Ghz G5s shipped with a FX5200 and if this G5 does have one fitted then its not the original card and it would mean its a DP 2.3 with an AGP and PCI-X slots not a DC G5 which have PCIE slots and are the only G5s to take a Quadro FX4500

5. California macrumors 68040

California

Can't use a Quadro on it. Also memory is faster and you can put 16gbs of ram in the DC 2.3 "late 2005" PMG5

6. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Worth getting? That depends on how much you are expected to pay for it. $40, yup its worth it. $200, no its not worth it.

7. bobesch, Sep 4, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2016

bobesch macrumors 65816

bobesch

I guess nothing's crappy at old stuff. Price and passion matters...
    Any G5 will do everything (PPC/Leopard/TFF/webkit plus video with CorePlayer) at it's best.
    Same for old games...
    Anything beyond that experiance is at +/- 200€ for >= core2duo Macs (but they won't go back to the roots)
    Have fun...

PS: I nearly got a heart attack carrying a G5 to my car over long distance and heavy rain.... ha! it's physical presence is kind of unique. I'd go for YOUR G5 if I was you - the next G5 certainly is about >4000 miles away from you!
    Just go & have fun!

8. VanneDC thread starter macrumors 6502a

VanneDC

lol, turns out when i went to pick up the box, it doesn't boot. played around with it for about 30 mins, still no boot. decided to leave it there.