DC G5 fan and thermal paste problems

Pombo2000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2019
hello,
i bought a power mac g5 dual core 2.0 ghz and i have a problem with fan
when the temperature reach 70/80 °c don't increase rpm a lot, is it normal?

the temperature in idle is 40 °c so i want to replace the old thermal paste after i will do it,
i must need ASD to recalibrate the system? because i don't have the CD

sorry for my english

thanks

z970mp

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2017
ARM Computing
The DC G5s don't really have dynamic fan activity under load like the earlier models may have.

I've had my machine (same model as yours) for almost 3 years and have never seen the fans rev up no matter how hard the system is working. So in other words, yes this is normal.

Yes, you will need to recalibrate the fans with ASD after you replace the thermal paste, otherwise they'll go on unfaltering high speed until you do.

You will need Apple Service Diagnostic version 2.6.3, which can be found on the Internet if you search for it. The downloaded image can be burnt to a DVD and booted from with the "C" key.

Good luck.

Reactions: Traace

Pombo2000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2019
The DC G5s don't really have dynamic fan activity under load like the earlier models may have.

I've had my machine (same model as yours) for almost 3 years and have never seen the fans rev up no matter how hard the system is working. So in other words, yes this is normal.

Yes, you will need to recalibrate the fans with ASD after you replace the thermal paste, otherwise they'll go on unfaltering high speed until you do.

You will need Apple Service Diagnostic version 2.6.3, which can be found on the Internet if you search for it. The downloaded image can be burnt to a DVD and booted from with the "C" key.

Good luck.
thanks, so i put the ASD on a usb key and after i change the thermal paste on my g5 i launch the ASD software right?

z970mp

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2017
ARM Computing
To simplify, I'd burn it onto a disc instead, as booting from a disc is a lot more straightforward than booting off a USB on these machines.

But yes, after you redo your thermal paste, you will need to boot from the Apple Service Diagnostics disc you just burnt, and can recalibrate the fan systems when you do. Remember to hold "C" immediately after the chime.

z970mp

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2017
ARM Computing
Yes. You can give it a test drive before working on your G5, if you'd like.

I would actually suggest it, because then you can make sure everything is working properly before opening the machine up.

Good luck, and happy servicing. :)

Pombo2000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2019
i burnt on a DVD, if i put it in my g5 i see on the dvd there is only one file: asd .2.6.3 (2005). dmg is right?
i opened the file inside there are only 5 pdf files that i can read, is it wrong?

thanks

z970mp

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2017
ARM Computing
The .dmg is not supposed to be simply placed into the DVD. When it is properly burnt, you will find the 5 PDF files already in the DVD's root directory. Here is what a properly burnt ASD looks like when you open up its root directory.

Picture 1.png

To burn a disc:

1. Open Disk Utility

2. Select your blank disc.

3. Choose "Burn" from the top menu (nuclear sign).

4. Find and select your .dmg.

5. Hit "Burn".

After the disc is burnt correctly, it should automatically open upon insertion with the name "ASD Dual Boot 2.6.3" (or something to that effect), and you can check whether it is bootable by restarting and holding down the "option" key when you hear the chime. Your newly created ASD disc should show up there under the name "Diagnostics (OF)", which you can then select and boot into.

Again, good luck.

Pombo2000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2019
thanks,
there is a screenshot what happens when i insert the dvd and i double click the first file at the top
is it all right?

Attachments

pl1984

Suspended
Oct 31, 2017
I have heard that the G5s need thermal recalibration after repasting. However I cannot find any reason why this would be the case and when I asked about it a month or so ago no one could confirm they needed to be recalibrated. It wouldn't hurt to have the ASD handy in case but I can't see why you'd need it for a repasting.

fourbirds

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2019
No need to re-calibrate unless you swapped the CPUs around from socket to socket (CPU A to socket B and CPU B to socket A).

z970mp

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2017
ARM Computing
thanks,
there is a screenshot what happens when i insert the dvd and i double click the first file at the top
is it all right?
Doing that will be totally useless, because you won't be booted into it.

Just burn it (follow the above instructions), restart and hold down the "option" key, and choose "Diagnostics (OF)".

Reactions: B S Magnet