dc in board replacement 12" ibook G4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by newbiemb, Jul 24, 2008.

1. newbiemb macrumors newbie

I just need an honest opinion. I'm trying to fix my dc in board myself. I figured out that was the problem and took it to the genius bar to confirm. I ordered the part and have directions from ifixit.com. Can I do this? I have absolutely no experience with this sort of thing, but I do follow directions well. A friend told me that some mac consultants won't even attempt this repair, which made me very uncomfortable. Can anybody who's done this repair speak to the difficulty and what it would be like for a person who's never even seen the inside of a computer? I don't have the money right now to have somebody else do it, so should I just put it up until I do, or take a shot at it? I really love this little laptop and hoped that I could save it...

2. GlassOgnion macrumors member

Yes you should do it. It's easy if you take your time and fellow the ifixit it indications. First print the ifixit it procedure and use scotch tape to scotch the iBook screws at their location on the ifixit documentation picts. It's important that you don't mix the iBook screws, you could short the motherboard if you reinstall a longer screw at a short screw location. Buy a soft plastic guitar pic and use it to separate the ibook bottom case from the uppercase. Begin the case separation buy the front left side, then the left side, then the rear side (hinges side). When taking off the upper case (track pad part) be careful to not lift it all the way. Just lift it a little to unplug the power switch connector, the keyboard connector and the speakers connector from their motherboard connector (3 connectors to unplug) before the complete upper case separation.

Then there's a 2 metal shields to take off and you now have access to the power board. Only two scres tot ake off to swap the old board with the new one.