dce extension error?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jgmacrum, May 28, 2013.

1. jgmacrum macrumors member

Hi ...

I've been having a lot of problems recently w/ my Mac Mini - it has been shutting down fairly regularly and experiencing poor performance a lot of times when it is actually running.

Digging into the logs, I see this a lot:

Previous Shutdown Cause: -30

When I look this up I see:

-30 dceExtErr dce extension error

I'm having trouble tracking down information on this. I did find some references to this which actually seem to describe my issue pretty well but it was also an advert for MacKeeper (http://www.cleanmacerror.com/[-30]%20dceExtErr-dce%20extension).

Does anyone know more than this? I'm assuming "Run MacKeeper" isn't the only way to resolve this situation.

Any ideas?

Thanks

2. jgmacrum thread starter macrumors member

I believe I might have found the source of this error - using both smcFanControl and Fan Control it appears my fan is running at 0 RPM. This would certainly track with crashes happening more frequently while watching videos and such (it is a plex server - it's either playing video or sitting idle).

This is an early 2010 mac mini, the question now is if it's worth trying to perform surgery myself or if the apple store can fix it w/o being too expensive.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

MacKeeper is nothing but a problem. It is known to cause all kinds of problems including leaving you with an unbootable system.