iPhone DCIM Folder Structure

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by scotty588, Dec 10, 2014.

1. scotty588 macrumors 6502

I had some problems when I updated to 8.1.1 with my camera roll photos not showing up in the order they were taken. I tried to fix it and in the process I shuffled around some of the folders/data in the /var/mobile/media/DCIM directory.

Can anyone tell me the name of the folders in this directory that hold their photos? I thought it was 100APPLE then went to 101APPLE, 102APPLE etc, but I thought I read this might be incorrect. It's 1000 photos/videos per folder? My pictures are are still in camera roll, but I just want to make sure I have the folder structure correct. They are still in the incorrect order since I couldn't fix this issue. I even tried deleting the Photos.sqlite, Photos.sqlite-shm and Photos.sqlite-wal database files from the PhotoData folder and rebooting...didn't help.

Also, for people on PC, if you plug in your phone and browse to your photos from "Computer" how many randomly named folders do you have? In the past I only had a few. Now I have 44 randomly named folders with 4 to 20 photos in each. It's really strange and makes finding pictures/videos extremely difficult.

2. that be me macrumors 6502

55 folders in my photos... folder. Not sure why it's like this. I'm on 8.1.2.

3. scotty588 thread starter macrumors 6502

Pretty sure this started on 8.1.1. Very odd.

4. scotty588 thread starter macrumors 6502

Can anyone clarify on the naming of the folders? Is it 100APPLE, 101APPLE etc? How many pictures/videos are in each?

5. Totally macrumors 6502a

Totally

I believe how it works is the first 1000 photos on your device... IMG_0001.JPG/PNG through IMG_1000.JPG/PNG go in 100APPLE. The next 1000 go in 101APPLE etc. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I just went into my file structure and checked. I am still on 7.1.2 ;).

8.1.2 changes this? That's weird.

6. that be me macrumors 6502

You might be aware of this, but someone had said that they spoke with Apple and it's a bug that hopefully will be fixed soon with a software update. At least Apple is aware of it.

7. scotty588 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not aware of this. What part is a bug? The out of order pictures or the 44 randomly named folders showing up on PCs under "Computer"? Or both hopefully?

8. that be me macrumors 6502

Not sure about the out of order thing, though that could be part of the bug. The post was on Apple's forums and was discussing multiple DCIM folders created with a recent update. For now, if you're jailbroken, you can use ifunbox to manage photos. Just be aware of the security problems that open up when installing Apple file conduit.