dDon't bring your macbook to geeksquad(not like you don't ALREADY KNOW THAT!)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by l.a.rossmann, Jul 22, 2009.

1. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

This has happened with screens, keyboards, missing sleep magnets, bad optical drives. use the apple store, or the forums. If you are truly computer illiterate, use a friend who knows something about how these work in conjunction with Apple's support network. I will explain.

Someone came to me yesterday saying best buy told them that they could not do anything to their machine - it was totally fried, the logic board was bad, she should bring it to apple, and that there was nothing they could do. They even gave her the initial deposit that they require before looking at the machine back to her.

I turn it on. Within 2 seconds, the clicking noise from the right palmrest indicates the problem. I throw in a drive I had lying around with OSX installed to test, and it primed, it memtested, it went online, and it's back in the hands of a happy user. Anyone here could have diagnosed this issue better than geeksquad.

This is the 100th time this has happened to me. I keep a tally in the back of my book, of times best buy has said something will either cost over $600-$1000 when it really cost(including labor) $100-$300, and this was the 100th time. I wouldn't be posting this if it hasn't happened 100 times this very year.

I am not sure if they are better outside the midtown Manhattan area. However, here, they fail, bigtime.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

yea most people dont know computers

this forum is a very small minority

3. Melodic macrumors member

With 3 Apple stores and Tekserve in Manhattan why would someone bring their apple product to best buy???? and yeah I've heard nothing but horror stories about geeksquad its ridiculous!

4. l.a.rossmann thread starter macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

tekserve has quoted people $1000 to replace the inverter board on an LED macbook pro 15.4", prior to the unibody.

Truth.

5. applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

I might pass...seeing as how I could get it for $15 on eBay. ;)

6. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I was in a best buy the other day and was looking in the mac section. A guy came up and wanted to buy a 15" MBP and was asking a few questions about it. They didn't know the answer to any questions he was asking so I walked over and immediately answered every question he had. They were all super simple questions that I could have answered the first day I got my mac.

Also when he bought the MBP, they didn't give him a case, no restore cds, no cleaning cloth, no nothing. Only the magsafe adapter and the MBP. They said that "they destroy the original cases because they don't have room for them." With the minimal amount of Apple computers they have there, there definitely should be room for a small box in the back of the store. They also explained to the guy that he could get the restore cds from apple if he really needed them but "they weren't really necessary." I was just about to yell at the sales rep right there, because many problems can be fixed easily with the restore cds. If he decided to order them from apple, he would be waiting for at least a few days before he got his computer back up and running. Best Buy electronics people have no idea what they are talking about when it comes to computers.

7. l.a.rossmann thread starter macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

If I could get away with charging a $985 labor fee, I would be living here.

8. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

I can't believe they don't have the original box!.

I'd have demanded I get the original box and all its contents.

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I charge $55/hour to install patches for some people. :rolleyes:

It's just so hard for them...

10. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Reading this made me mad for some reason lol.

11. Maserati7200 macrumors 6502a

Maserati7200

11230, Midwood, Brooklyn, NY, USA, North America
    I assume you went down to the best buy by Bay Parkway right? Is there another one in BK? Anyway you should just go to a Manhattan Apple store, its only like a 30 minute subway or car ride.

12. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

30 minutes by car? In what century?

When I'm in NYC, it takes 50% (or more) longer to get where you're going than you thought.

13. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Any dufus that shells out this kind of dough for a laptop and gleefully walks out of the store without the original box deserves the Best Buy treatment.

14. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

haha I know. I was really angry but I didn't want to make a scene. The guy clearly didn't have a clue what he was buying.

15. l.a.rossmann thread starter macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

The box is essential to any machine sold at retail price at a retail store. That's screwed up that they don't receive it.

I didn't go to any of them. Read my post!

16. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Ain't that the truth....sad, but the truth.

17. applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

+2.

The dolt didn't even get the full Apple experience for his hard-earned dough. Opening up the nice packaging is part of the :apple: fun.

18. matthewscott661 macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

I got my MacBaook at BestBuy, and I don't regret it. Someone had returned it to the store because they ordered it online and received the wrong one. The sticker they had on it read $1099. I told them it was silly for them to try to sell it at that price since Apple was liquidating the unibody MacBooks for $999 that same week(I actually almost got one) because of the release of the 13" MBPs.

They were including everything that originally came with it, except for the box, and I told my friend who was with me that I wouldn't pay more than $900 for it. The guy working there overheard me, which is not surprising since the mac display is limited to a single, very small table, and said he could talk to the manager about the price.

He came back after about ten minutes with the bag of accessories and an authorization for the new price of $899. After I called my dad and begged him to let me put it on his credit card, I was the proud new owner of of a UB MacBook:D.

If the people at BestBuy had not been so incompetent, I would quite possibly still be chugging along on my G3 iBook(shudders).

19. applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

Congrats.

There are SOME things one should buy at PleaseBuy. Boxing Day (Americans wouldn't know) is an occasion, clearance sales, and massive rebate promotions.

20. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

I worked at a best buy for almost a year recently, and honestly some of those people are so stupid. And it starts right from the management. I really can't believe a best buy would not keep the original box? Thats really odd, our store kept every computer in their original packaging, I cant imagine buying a new computer or anything for that matter, In anything BUT the original packaging. Thats half the fun of getting a new product. Secondly, best buy employees are stupid!! A lot of them really are. Get this, I was hired to do inventory, but when it was dead for me, I'd go help out with computer sales. I knew more about computers than even some employees who were twice my age, and had been at best buy for 3 or 4 years. And still, the management would not let me switch my department. I would sell more computers, accessories, and Of course those dreaded extra warranties that everyone hates, In a few hours, than the computer salesmen would sell in a full shift.

21. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Ehh, BB's holiday promotions have relatively sucked since CompUSA and Circuit City went out of business, IMO.

22. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Enough people don't know jack about computers that shops like these can afford to hire people who SOUND like they know what they are talking about just to make sales.

23. old-wiz macrumors G3

I'd report this to Apple; the OSx DVDs are part of the package. If they don't have it and claim not to have the package either I would suspect a stolen Mac being fronted by an employee of Best Buy. Highly possible something illegal is involved.

24. opinioncircle macrumors 6502a

opinioncircle

Couldn't agree more with you. Doesn't look good to me either...

25. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

I bought my white Macbook at BestBuy last fall. It was an open-box return, too (like a previous poster) and it came with EVERYTHING - box, discs, cleaning cloth, etc. It was the previous gen white which had been reduced from $1099 to $849, then clearanced another 10% for being opened - I bought it for $765. I will admit, though, that the guy at BestBuy was clueless. If I hadn't already known what I was looking at, he would have been useless.