Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ManuelGnR

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
Netherlands
Does DDR2 or DDR3 really make a big difference?

I'm getting a 1.6 Ghz / 2 GB DDR2 / 80 GB Air tomorrow..

Are you able to change the DDR2 for DDR3 Ram?

Bennieboy©

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
england
no you cant, and the only difference is bus speeds with DDR3 being faster then DDR2, you cant fit DDR3 to a DDR2 board, they wont fit ;)

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Might I ask why you're getting an original MBA and not a newer Nvidia model? Have you considered the vast improvements in the v 2,1 MBA over the original? I believe the vast majority of people will receive far more value in paying a little more money for a v 2,1 MBA over an original MBA.

Unless you're only planning to use the MBA as a word processor, it's not wise to go with the original MBA, in my opinion.

You're not just missing out on DDR3 RAM. The biggest thing you're missing out on is an Nvidia GPU, at 5X the performance of the original MBA. You're also missing out on a much superior and cooler running Penryn CPU, a SATA-II drive controller, 50% more drive space in a SATA HDD drive, and even the capability of driving a 24" to 30" Apple Cinema Display.

I would highly advise you consider all of the improvements of the v 2,1 MBA and also the very low added costs to buy a newer MBA over the original model. In addition, the last time the MBA was updated it provided not only a few small spec bumps but also a HUGE drop in the price. There is a possibility of another drop in the MBA pricing with its next update which could further lower the price of newer MBAs on the secondary market. That update could happen within the next few weeks.

I would strongly suggest you consider the additional costs and get the far superior model MBA. It's not just 62% faster RAM in the newer MBA. It's a completely different system that provides a completely different experience and far more capabilities to the MBA owner than the original MBA provided.

Good luck with whatever MBA you ultimately end up buying.

ManuelGnR

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
Netherlands
Well I already made a deal and will pick it up tomorrow, but yes I will mostly use it for word (well, Pages), internet, maybe a little bit else.

A got this iMac for the heavy stuff =)

But I would like it to be fast at word processing and internet, and at the same time, and maybe iTunes too.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Well I already made a deal and will pick it up tomorrow, but yes I will mostly use it for word (well, Pages), internet, maybe a little bit else.

A got this iMac for the heavy stuff =)

But I would like it to be fast at word processing and internet, and at the same time, and maybe iTunes too.

Well, then it will probably be perfect for you. Congrats on your purchase. Don't be surprised if you find yourself quickly forgetting all about your iMac for the "heavy stuff." I feel most people don't realize how much they will love the MBA. For me, I have to have a one Mac system. The MBA fills the extreme portability I desire away from the desk, yet can drive a 24" LED ACD while at the desk. I suspect most people will find themselves determining if the MBA can meet all their needs and eliminate the extra "heavy lifting" Mac.

Look into Cool Book for $10. Don't forget to consider re-application of the thermal paste... and finally don't forget to complain to Apple if the MBA is still under AppleCare. Many people have had their original MBA's upgraded to a newer model. Oh, also remember Click 2 Flash will stop the Flash from heating up your MBA's CPU.

Good luck and congrats!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.