DDR2 RAM on new Aluminium Macbooks

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by PresentACat, Oct 23, 2008.

1. PresentACat macrumors regular

Right, after seeing the following page on AnandTech : http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=3435&p=2

I was wondering if the new Macbooks definately support DDR2 800 RAM, as it would make going to 4GB very very cheap.

From all the reviews I have seen, there is no benefit in using DDR3 RAM until new processor architectures move the memory controller (we are talking Nehalem here). In some instances it is beneficial to use very high performance (low latency) DDR2 RAM rather than 'slow' DDR3.

2. PresentACat thread starter macrumors regular

Just a thought I had in addition to this.

DDR3 might be the only route so as not to damage graphical performance. With the 9400M sharing system memory, DDR3 is a more suitable choice. DDR2 is certainly more than good enough for everything else at present though.

3. richorlin macrumors regular

The DDR2 chips are 200 pin and the DDR3 chips are 204 pin so the DDR2 chips won;t physically fit the new Macbooks.

4. PresentACat thread starter macrumors regular

You are quite correct, that was a schoolboy error.

5. DTMoody macrumors newbie

Pin Count...

Look at the specs. I have the new Alu.Macbook 2.4, it says on the site and in the manual, that it requires 200 pin DDR3 memory. Yet, there is no DDR3 memory that is 200 pin... it's all 204 pin.

What's up with this?

:confused:

6. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Who knows? 204 pin DDR3 it is.

7. digiphantom macrumors regular

where can I find 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 for a good price? I had a brief look at newegg and it came out to be around $150+.

I remembered buying the 4GB DDR2 kit for basically around $60 earlier this year.

8. PresentACat thread starter macrumors regular

Yep DDR2 is superbly cheap at the moment, whilst DDR3 is very expensive and doesn't yet give any real gains. Such is life.