DDR3 RAM Upgrade Prices and MB/MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by anth, Oct 19, 2008.

1. anth macrumors member

Hey Everyone,

I am finally going to purchase my first Mac! I've used them for awhile in the labs where I've worked, only to come home to Windows headaches... I am so excited!

I'm definitely purchasing a new MB or 15" MBP in the next few days. I'd eventually like to get 4gb of RAM, but I've checked Crucial and it appears to be cheaper to upgrade with Apple for $135. I hope I'm mistaken...

I'd always been told NOT to buy memory from Apple, but is this now an exception?

Also, are the RAM slots still user accessible, without compromising the warranty?

Anyway, I'm still up in the air between the more expensive Macbook and the less expensive 15" MBP. I went and sat next to them last night for a long time, using both. I am a grad student in the biological sciences and this will be the only computer I own. It will be used for everything from some bioinformatics work to Photoshop (as I'm an amateur photographer). I travel with some frequency for fieldwork, so this notebook will be dragged through airports across continents.

Okay, so my hang-up is that I really like how the MB looks and feels. I think it is sexier than the new MBP. I currently bring my notebook to and from my apartment and the lab. I feel like I'd be a fool to ditch firewire, though.

As a student who does a small bit of programming for my work, I should qualify for Student ADC, correct? How long does that take to go through?

Thanks,

Anthony

2. ethen macrumors regular

I got mine from OCW (otherworldcomputing) loaded up my DDR3 for 139 (4GB)

The new MBP and MB RAM is still easily replaced

3. digitalfrog macrumors regular

digitalfrog

I really think this is indeed an exception.
    I looked around and you can save a few bucks, but not much.

I'd go ahead and have Apple do the upgrade for you.

4. can7ona macrumors regular

With regards to the RAM, as I've said somewhere else here today, Apple seems to be either a bit cheaper or a bit more expensive at the moment (by a couple of £s either way) so the question becomes... do you need the extra RAM from day 1? If you do then get it through Apple for sure.

If not, get the standard RAM and then wait for prices to come down and stick it in yourself.

AFAIK it's far easier to change the RAM and HDD on the new MBPs compared to the old ones. However, a couple of guys here have said that when they took the cover off it didn't go back flush - not something that should cause you warranty issues but may annoy you depending on how you feel about the cost of the MBP! ;)

5. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

yeah, but...

I agree with the above posters...if you're going to order it from apple. If you're buying it at an apple store, you're going to get the full price, and they'll hand you back two sticks of ram that you'll wonder what you'll do with.

Do you even know if you'll NEED 4 gigs of ram just yet? Maybe you could buy it with two, and install the additional when it becomes more popular and the prices on it comes down.

6. agbot macrumors regular

I just bought my wife a new MBP and she needs 4GB of RAM for the work she does. I decided against going the Apple route for the 4GB kit. Yeah it's basically the same price, but Apple keeps your original 2x1GB chips in the process. Maybe I'll never need those 2x1GB chips, but I figured why give them back to Apple for free?

7. agbot macrumors regular

Also, like ethen said, RAM is easy to install since it's designed to be user installable. Page 42 of the booklet that comes with your MPB explains how to do it. But... if you don't care about keeping the original RAM and don't want to mess with it, no harm in having it done by Apple. :)

8. gibbz macrumors 68030

While the cost is close to the same in regards to 3rd party vs. Apple, 3rd party can still be considered cheaper. When you buy the 4GB option from Apple, you are essentially paying for the original 2GB RAM plus an upgrade price. If you go with the 2GB from Apple and then buy the 3rd party upgrade, you can sell your original 2GB and effectively reduce your out of pocket cost.

9. AboveTheChaos macrumors regular

I decided to go with OWC and upgrade it myself. As others have said you can keep the original 2GB for backup or sell it. OWC even allows you to send it to them and they send you a check (they only give you $15 I think) Also, with OWC, they give a lifetime warranty on it. While I was at their site, I got their Hitachi 320GB 7200 rpm drive to swap out for the stock one. They've got a rebate on it so it comes to around $110 and since I'll already be swapping the ram, I figure I'll go with the drive as well.

10. midniteriver macrumors newbie

Any idea when prices might come down? I know it'd be purely speculative.

11. midniteriver macrumors newbie

Also, is Other World Computing reputable? They seem to have the best price. How's the quality and service?

12. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

They are good. As said previously it has a lifetime warranty. My RAM chips weren't playing nice so I have to get a replacement. It seems all third-party RAM is having compatibility issues.

13. midniteriver macrumors newbie

Can you elaborate?

14. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Go to the Apple discussion board for the MB. People with Patriot Fry's RAM, OWC, some Crucial, and even some that purchased RAM from Apple.

Some are believing that the new chipsets are especially sensitive to minor RAM differences.

15. pendo macrumors regular

Dumb question and a little off topic....

If I get an entry level MB and change the HD for the 320 gig version...how do I do that? I saw in the store how easy it is to swap HD's, but how do I get the OS onto the new drive?

16. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

You can use the install disks.

17. richorlin macrumors regular

No problems with RAM upgrade

Bought Crucial DDR3 RAM from Newegg for $60 and have no compatibility issues with it. I DID have issues with the installation, though. Four of the eight screws are half the size of a gain of rice. Hard to handle and easy to drop. I suggest you put all the screws in a small dish while you work. If they roll off the table onto your rug you will NEVER find them.

18. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

You mean $60 each? Did you buy one or two?