Ddr4

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jamesjingyi, Mar 19, 2015.

1. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

I was looking at some smartphone specs earlier and stumbled across the fact that the LG G Flex 2 and the Galaxy S6 have DDR4 RAM. I would have thought that this would have come out first in laptops or desktops rather than phones. Do you then think it would be hopeful to wish for DDR4 in the next gen MacBook Pro 15" Retina?

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

If Apple skips Broadwell-H in favor of Skylake-H, DDR4 will be there.

Dell skipped Broadwell-H in favor of Skylake-H. I'm hoping Apple will follow suit.

3. lchlch macrumors 6502a

ddr4 should be a high priority because it is more power efficient than ddr3 which leads to better battery life. It is faster as well, giving a boost to the iGpu.

However, it is still way too expensive. So i predict that apple will probably include ddr4 by late 2016 or early 2017.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Yep I agree

It's expensive and currently with limited gains, it has great potential but until we get the vastly superior bandwidth promised on canonlake and cheaper units it's a no go for most.

5. jamesjingyi thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

I just wonder why a mobile device like the Galaxy S6 would bet DDR4 before a laptop computer? I hope Apple does push for DDR4 and a Skylake processor like Dell because I want the next laptop to be the one I keep for quite a few years.

6. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Well development cycles of mobile SoC are shorter than for the Intel chips but the bigger difference is the amount of RAM needed.

It will take some time until DDR4 replaces DDR3 fully and reaches equal prices, until then DDR4 will be more expensive. It makes a difference whether you need 3GB or RAM for a 800$ smartphone with an insane profit margin or 16GB of DDR4 on a notebooks with relatively much much tighter profit margins.
    Because of DDR4 costs not likely being low enough Intel will not even bother until Skylake and even then the put in both DDR3 and DDR4 controllers so high DDR4 costs won't make Skylake too expensive.

Never forget, those smartphones like the iphone cost close to a 1000 bucks yet is build from about 200$ worth of parts. A decent notebook costs a lot more to make and relatively sells for a lot less. Nowhere is stuffing the newest toys as lucrative as in high end smartphones and saving power as important.