De-esser for recording in Keynote?

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
I record presentations in Keynote and export them as videos as well as presentations. I find that I have a moderate ess in my voice. Is it possible to run some sort of pre-processor plugin with macOS to de-ess and compress my voice between the microphone and the recording in Keynote?

Alternatively, I could export the video, extract that audio and copy it into GarageBand and process it there before playing it back into Keynote. I don't need pro-level results, but if I can easily sound better that would be great. Can someone point me in the direction of learning to do this?

I've experimented with microphone positioning and a pop-filter and that helps. I'd like to go a step further.

I'm using an Audio Technica AT2020 USB mic.

Thanks.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
Thanks. For our sales reps I like to record a presentation directly in Keynote. If they are not familiar with the topic they can use my recorded presentation. Otherwise they can manually drive the presentation and do their own narration. I can do post processing but it is a lot more work.

Locating the microphone down around chest level so that I'm not speaking directly at the mic and adding a good pop filter has helped a lot.

kohlson

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2010
Using Audacity, you could do some fairly quick and easy post-processing (and it can use VST plug-ins, too). Most people, myself included, are somewhat sensitive to/critical of their own voice. Is there someone you respect who can give you an eval of your recorded output. It may be less of an issue than you think.