De Frag Mac Book Pro??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fille9, Feb 6, 2013.

1. fille9 macrumors newbie

Is there any need to de frag my Mac Book Pro as I often do with my desk top running Win 7 ?? If so, How do you do it ??

2. simsaladimbamba

No, there is no need to, as the Mac OS Extended file system (HFS+) takes care of this in most cases. I never needed to defrag my HDDs with Mac OS X.

Articles explaining why Mac OS X does not need maintenance software like CCleaner, MacKeeper or CleanMyMac:

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

With very few exceptions, you don't need to defrag on Mac OS X, except possibly when partitioning a drive.

About disk optimization with Mac OS X

4. Ploki macrumors 68000

Actually, if you do work with large files defragmentation can be beneficial.

Not because HFS+ automatically defragments small files, because HDD speed gets significantly worse as the drive fills up. Having files stored in the slower parts of the drive will inherently drop the speed for almost 50% (in mb/s) and hinder access time.

5. chrise2 macrumors 6502

Also, you don't defrag SSDs as there's no benefit and it just reduces the life of the drive. Modern OSs like Win 7 and hopefully OS X know not to automatically do it.

6. Ploki macrumors 68000

I certainly hope so too...