Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

filmboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 1, 2013
I'm purchasing a new 27" iMac this weekend, and as it will be newly configured, it will come with Mavericks pre-installed. However I would like to de-intall Mavericks and re-install Mountain Lion so that I can continue to edit video in Final Cut Pro 7.

Is this possible and easy and if so, please share instructions.

Thanks!

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
I'm purchasing a new 27" iMac this weekend, and as it will be newly configured, it will come with Mavericks pre-installed. However I would like to de-intall Mavericks and re-install Mountain Lion so that I can continue to edit video in Final Cut Pro 7.

Is this possible and easy and if so, please share instructions.

Thanks!

Easy enough if you have ever installed an operating system.

1. Boot with Mountain Lion installer.
2. When you get to the start of the install process the X screen choose the Utilities option at the top then Disk Utility.
3. Select drive partition that already has the Mavericks installed on it choose erase then erase it.
4. Quit Disk Utility then proceed to install Mountain Lion.
5. Once completed migrate your existing data/applications or install/copy them over afterwards.

ufkdo

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2010
Turkey
As far as I know, you cannot install an older operating system to the macs that comes with the newer version.

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
As far as I know, you cannot install an older operating system to the macs that comes with the newer version.

If the machine existed when the older OS was in release then you can install on it as it would be installable then, that is only for newer machine the old OS would not know about. For example my 5,1 came with Lion that lasted about five minutes before I installed Snow Leopard on it.

Edit: Now I have thought about it I bought that so late in the cycle I was eligible for the free Mountain Lion upgrade so I went back two revisions of the OS on that SL install..

Last edited:

ufkdo

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2010
Turkey
If the machine existed when the older OS was in release then you can install on it as it would be installable then, that is only for newer machine the old OS would not know about. For example my 5,1 came with Lion that lasted about five minutes before I installed Snow Leopard on it.

I see. Thanks :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.