Deactivate iP4, but keeping it as an iPod/mini iPadish thing?

simple20

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2010
Hey,

I'm going to put my cell phone service on pause for 6-7mo ish due to leaving the country. While I'm away, I'd like to be able to keep in touch with my loved ones/friends, assuming I have access to wifi at certain points. I was wondering if I can keep my phone operational without service? I'm JB on 5.0.1. Ideally, I'd like to be able to use facetime, skype, or gmail voice chat and ios message or bitesms credits for texting with wifi. I also have an non-JB iPad2 if tht makes a difference in my possibilities. Appreciate any help or insight, thanks.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Like Crystal-RX said, take out sim, turning airplane mode on will get rid of the no sim message, toggle wifi on/off for wifi access.

simple20

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2010
Will that require me keeping my service? I'm deploying and will be in the middle of the ocean for most of it. As such I WON'T have access to wifi or a cell tower, so I can save 600 bucks by pausing my cell service. I guess my question really is, will my JB iphone have any functionality once I cut off the cell service, or should I just leave it at home until I can reactivate my service?

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
It works perfectly without the cell service and without sim, just take the sim out now and see for yourself

OceanView

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2005
6 months in the ocean with no WiFi?
Good luck buddy. Hope you have many things to keep you entertained.