Deactivate iP4, but keeping it as an iPod/mini iPadish thing?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by simple20, Jan 13, 2012.

1. simple20 macrumors regular

Hey,

I'm going to put my cell phone service on pause for 6-7mo ish due to leaving the country. While I'm away, I'd like to be able to keep in touch with my loved ones/friends, assuming I have access to wifi at certain points. I was wondering if I can keep my phone operational without service? I'm JB on 5.0.1. Ideally, I'd like to be able to use facetime, skype, or gmail voice chat and ios message or bitesms credits for texting with wifi. I also have an non-JB iPad2 if tht makes a difference in my possibilities. Appreciate any help or insight, thanks.

2. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

You could turn off all of your data and simply do everything through Wi-fi! :D

3. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Or just take out the sim card and keep it somewhere safe if you afraid it is roaming some how.

4. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

Like Crystal-RX said, take out sim, turning airplane mode on will get rid of the no sim message, toggle wifi on/off for wifi access.

5. simple20 thread starter macrumors regular

Will that require me keeping my service? I'm deploying and will be in the middle of the ocean for most of it. As such I WON'T have access to wifi or a cell tower, so I can save 600 bucks by pausing my cell service. I guess my question really is, will my JB iphone have any functionality once I cut off the cell service, or should I just leave it at home until I can reactivate my service?

6. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

It works perfectly without the cell service and without sim, just take the sim out now and see for yourself

7. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

+ 100.

8. simple20 thread starter macrumors regular

9. spin360 macrumors member

Download a bunch of games that you can play offline.

10. OceanView macrumors 65816

6 months in the ocean with no WiFi?
    Good luck buddy. Hope you have many things to keep you entertained.