Deactivate iphone3g data plan and register new phone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by thunderfan, Feb 8, 2010.

1. thunderfan macrumors newbie

I sold my iphone because it broke. I now have a new phone that is not a AT&T phone and want to use it in place of my iphone. However it still has the data plan activated and will not let me change it on my account online.

Can I change away from my data plan since I will no longer need it? It appears some people in the thread below were able to get rid of their data plan and still use their iphone. I dont want to use the iphone anymore but can I do this as well? What will i need to do this? Do I need a AT&T branded phone to register first?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=647556

2. CupertinoiPhone macrumors member

Call AT&T & they can take out the data plan

I have my two iPhones one with the data plan & on another one I got it with no data plan. I had to pay for the full price of the iPhone. AT&T did not gave me any subsidy.

If you are out of contract, then you can ask AT&T to take the data plan out of the contract, otherwise AT&T may charge you $10 per month for the remaining contract period to take the data plan out.

-Ganesh

3. thunderfan thread starter macrumors newbie

I was able to remove it even though I am still on contract. I just registered a basic phone on my account and they accepted it and let me remove it. They did not mention anything about any penalty fee's. I would imagine this would be something that they disclosed to me when I was trying to remove it correct?

4. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

if thats the case you should be able to buy one off of eBay or from a friend and just insert your sim card. but I have heard that if AT&T catches you they will automatically start billing you for the data plan. let me know if someone has tried it and not gotten billed.

5. CupertinoiPhone macrumors member

I never had a problem

What I did was, I signed up with AT&T with my regular Cell Phone which was LG Shine this was sometime in Jan 2009, then I called AT&T after some 10-15 days asking them to take the Data Plan, International Calling and SMS messaging out. After some 7 days, I put the SIM inside of unlocked iPhone and it picked it up. No unlocking, no jail breaking & I am not being billed for Data Plan nor SMS.

Just FYI, I have one more iPhone on which I have kept the data plan but that is separate account.

Hope the above helps.

-Ganesh