Deactivated SIM

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by iHarrison, Sep 28, 2012.

1. iHarrison macrumors regular

iHarrison

I just sold my iPhone 4S to eBay as part of their InstantSale program.

A few hours after I dropped it off at FedEx, I realized that I had forgotten to remove my SIM. :mad:

HOWEVER, I did restore my iPhone to factory settings and the SIM in my iPhone 4S has been deactivated by my carrier and my phone line is already set up on my new iPhone 5.

Am I freaking out and panicking too much? Is the deactivated SIM useless to eBay when they get it? If anyone has used eBay InstantSale, I see they say that they wipe your phone of info when they get it. Does this include throwing out the old SIM?

If this is a problem (...and I'm hoping it's not... :(), what do I do to resolve the issue and protect myself?

Thank you

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

You have nothing to worry about. The sim can't be used once it's deactivated.

3. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

yea it cant be reactivated. the next owner will need a new SIM.

4. iHarrison thread starter macrumors regular

iHarrison

Thanks for the replies. Feeling a little easier about things now. So they can't get any account info or anything either from just having the deactivated SIM?

From my understanding and your responses, the SIM is a useless card to them?

5. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Unless there are saved contacts on the sim, then no. Once the sim is "dead" it can't be reactivated as stated above.

6. iHarrison thread starter macrumors regular

iHarrison

Ok, thank you. Relieved to hear this. I don't know why contacts would be saved on my SIM still after I performed a factory wipe.

Also, contacts are the least of my concern. I was more worried about credit info or account information.

7. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

With the old phones, you had the option of saving a contact to the sim card back in the day. But anyway, you're good. Nothing to worry about with the sim.

8. iHarrison thread starter macrumors regular

iHarrison

Appreciate it PsstGreek! You've been really helpful and responsive.