Deactivating Windows 7 key from partially installed parallels vm?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Kugar77, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Kugar77 macrumors newbie

I recently got my own version of windows 7 from my school for free and decided to give parallels a shot. A little after installing parallels and giving my windows key, I decided I would rather do boot camp and "upgrade" the partition to run in parallels if i needed to. I started the boot camp installation but when it got to asking me for the Windows 7 key, it said the key was invalid now. Is there any way of getting the key back?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

None, except for calling Microsoft at the number provided in the activation dialog boxes.

Since you got it free could you just get another?

B

3. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

After 6 months I started having issues with my WIndows 7 install via VMWare Fusion, so I uninstalled it and did a Boot Camp installation. My original activation key worked. I guess it's time related?

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Depends on the kind of license. Retail/Full Packaged Product licenses can be re-activated on completely new hardware every so often without hiccup. OEM/System Builder licenses, not so much.

B

5. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I have an OEM license. Retail is ridiculously overpriced

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

So count your blessings. It's a crap shoot and might not have worked.

I'll spare you my OEM is not for end users rant.

B

7. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

Rant all you want. I purchased it legally from newegg.com

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Doesn't mean you are using it within the terms of the license under which it was sold to you. (HINT: You are not. A System Builder who accepts the license must resell the system they build to an unrelated third party). And if you're not holding up your end of the deal you make with Microsoft, why should they?

I can legally purchase a set of lockpicks from http://www.lockpicks.com/, does that mean I have the legal right to use them pick your locks?

If you go into it with eyes open, and understand that the price you pay in buying OEM is that it is a disposable, throwaway license of Windows I'm fine with that. Then again, if you are already going to skirt the license anyhow, why not just buy retail upgrade and install that clean. At least those licenses are more easily transferable.

EDIT: Just to be crystal clear I don't care what you or anyone else does. Use OEM, Hackintosh, jailbreak iDevices it's all good as long as you know what you are doing. I just want to make sure that folks who don't already have Windows and want to buy it for their Mac don't end up buying OEM/System Builder licenses without understanding what it is they are doing.

B