Dead 24" Cinema. What route should I take?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by viggin, May 19, 2011.

1. viggin macrumors newbie

Recently scored a 24" LED for a song and a dance because it wasn't lighting up. Decided to take a gamble on it -- I knew it was broken when I bought it. I figured that with a little work on my part and maybe a little money I could have a working display.

Just to be clear, everything about the display (Including the LCD) works, it just doesn't light up.

Started by testing the logic board. It checked out ok, which means that the backlight has failed.

Took it to the Apple store because I heard that they offer flat rate repair on displays. Turns out that's an option for the OLD aluminum displays, but the new iMac-style displays are all repaired in-store. Only. Repair depot doesn't touch them, or so I'm told.

Backlight is part of the LCD panel and they're sold together as a non-servicable part. If the backlight needs to be replaced, the whole LCD has to be replaced. Unfortunately, this part is $700 through the Apple Store or $900 online!!

At this point I have a few options. Wondering what your opinions are. My options, as I see them, are:

Most effort: Part out the thing on eBay. Just selling the logic board or the power supply alone I would recoup what I paid for it, and I could actually do ok. Unfortunately this would take the most effort, and searching completed ebay listings...I don't think parts for the 24" are in high demand.

Medium effort: Watch ebay for one that's broken in another way and frankenstein the two into one working display. This too is a gamble though. Searching completed eBay listings, I don't see too may (or any, actually) broken ones coming up.

Least effort: Cut my losses, dump the thing, and move on.

Opinions? Insights?

2. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

Id say just sell it on ebay as is broken maybe someone else would like to take a chance at fixing it up.