Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rasjunk

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2005
oh god.

Note the "2" and "5" buttons are both lit.

Attachments

• 2405.jpg
    2405.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 152

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
ROFL!!! Thats what you get for buying a Dell! Its cheaper for a reason! DELL=POS!!!!!

Take it back and get the Apple one...its better anyways and looks 100x better than the crappy black plastic.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
mklos said:
ROFL!!! Thats what you get for buying a Dell! Its cheaper for a reason! DELL=POS!!!!!

Take it back and get the Apple one...its better anyways and looks 100x better than the crappy black plastic.

Wow. What a helpful post. I'm not even sure which Apple screen you are suggesting: they don't make a 24" screen. Apple and Dell both use identical Samsung panels in their 20.1 screens as well.

rasjunk

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2005
The monitor is (was) great. I don't think this was dell's fault, but we'll see when i call for a replacement.

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
I've had ZERO problems with my 2405.

Even so, I'm glad it has a standard 3 year warranty.

Have you checked all your connections? Just curious.

The 2 is for DVI and the 5 indicates a Component video connection.

Is anything else connected?

The first silver button to the right selects the input.

Check your connections and try scrolling through your input selectors

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
mklos said:

Maybe you should go read up on all the problems people have had with pink 23" ACD's, then come back and criticize. I'm no Dell or PC fanboy, but I think that at least 90% of people around here would stand up for Dells displays.

Dell displays, not = POS :rolleyes:

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
Trust me...anything Dell is a major POS! Anyone who thinks any differently doesn't know their head from their.... you fill in the blank!

Like I said...you get what you pay for and you paid for a cheap POS! Just my strong opinion!

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
mklos said:
Trust me...anything Dell is a major POS! Anyone who thinks any differently doesn't know their head from their.... you fill in the blank!

Like I said...you get what you pay for and you paid for a cheap POS! Just my strong opinion!
Wow, I don't know what else to say, just, wow.

EvilDoc

macrumors 6502a
mklos said:

why even post then? dumbass :eek:

y0zza

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2005
UK
mklos said:

Speechless...

crap freakboy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
nar in Gainsborough, me duck
mklos said:

I'd cut back on the caffine if I was you....just a thought :D

Mac_Freak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
mklos said:

Give us some test specs, oh you know what, ACDs have lost to Dell displays in many tests :eek:

If you have a warranty, then you have nothing to worry about. Just call and get a replacement.

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
Seriously though, it looks like the display died on you so calling Dell would be the next step. Have fun talking to a person from India who is just reading out of a book trying to fix your problem and has no idea what they're doing. Its all part of the wonderful world of Dell. I work as a PC tech, so I know all too much about calling Dell....

robcts

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2005
mklos said:

Um... :rolleyes:

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Aug 25, 2004
Pasadena, California, USA
mklos said:

Hey, you do realize that is a monitor, not a laptop screen, correct? Dell monitors are da bomb and work great. I did have an Apple monitor at one point, but the screen turned pink so I sold it for peanuts. A year later I discovered this forum and realized I probably didn't need to throw it out.

I wouldn't advocate a Dell computer at all, but a Dell monitor I would reccomend in a heartbeat.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
mklos said:
Seriously though, it looks like the display died on you so calling Dell would be the next step. Have fun talking to a person from India who is just reading out of a book trying to fix your problem and has no idea what they're doing. Its all part of the wonderful world of Dell. I work as a PC tech, so I know all too much about calling Dell....
Deep breath, now get down off that high horse.

Every time I've rang Apple I've been put through to an Irish call center (not that it matters where anyone is from, but apparently it might to you), who clearly had no idea what they were talking about, and could only attempt to help by reading Apples own support site which I could have done my bloody self without paying for the privilege :rolleyes:

No one is perfect, hardware is hardware, it goes wrong. Yes it sucks, but what can you do? (and don't suggest buying Apple, because that's no answer....unless we really need to go over the AlPB screens white patch issue, 23" ACD pink issue, iBook logic boards, iMac G5 blah blah blah, you get the idea).

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
edesignuk said:
Deep breath, now get down off that high horse.

Every time I've rang Apple I've been put through to an Irish call center (not that it matters where anyone is from, but apparently it might to you), who clearly had no idea what they were talking about, and could only attempt to help by reading Apples own support site which I could have done my bloody self without paying for the privilege :rolleyes:

No one is perfect, hardware is hardware, it goes wrong. Yes it sucks, but what can you do? (and don't suggest buying Apple, because that's no answer....unless we really need to go over the AlPB screens white patch issue, 23" ACD pink issue, iBook logic boards, iMac G5 blah blah blah, you get the idea).

I will stick up for you and say that Apple UK totally sucks compared to Apple US. You would think they would be the same company and operate the same, but its just not. I know as I have iChat buddies from the UK, and you probably know as well. I've only had to call Apple (from the US) twice and both times I got someone from the US and sounded like they knew what they were doing. Apple's tech support is #1 compared to everyone else. As a PC Tech, I've had to call Dell, HP, Gateway, and some other vendors, and nothing was like the experience that I had with Apple.

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
#1. Yes it was a useless post by him (2 useless posts, the 3rd and 4th are alright)
#2. C'mon, generally dell make POS products :D *runs* :p

Although I am kinda scared with the probs I am hearing about with apple monitors, because they are the ones I'd buy... The 20" is fine, right?

On Topic: We can't magically do anything to help you. You'll just have to ring dell and see what can be done.. (replacement hopefully)

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
Let me go ahead and tell you what happened. Looks like a FCC broke. Its a thin connector that connects the panel to it's surrounding circuitry.

wrxguy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2005
Deepest Regions of Hell
I have a 2405 and it came from dell broken...they promptly sent me another one and it works like a dream...i personally like it better than the apples cause it is 500 cheaper, bigger, and more inputs, as well as a card reader...its a beautiful monitor...the apples are nice but like it was said before, same lcd, call dell they will hook you up...they are pretty cool like that

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
FFTT said:
I guess I have one side benefit in driving down nearly a mile of bumpy gravel road before I get home.

Everything I buy gets a good shakedown test before I open the box. ;)

Order popcorn and fizzy drinks on line.

;)

rasjunk

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2005
jared_kipe said:
Let me go ahead and tell you what happened. Looks like a FCC broke. Its a thin connector that connects the panel to it's surrounding circuitry.

What would cause this? Something electrical, or physical... Like being mishandled on an airplane?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.