Dead 3GS...Advice Needed

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by johndallas999, Jan 14, 2011.

1. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

I have a 32GB 3GS that won't power on and won't show up in iTunes. I think the logic board is out. I'm not eligible for a renewal until Mid March for a new phone at the susidized price. So my options are:

1. Pay 199 at the Apple store for a replacement and have a phone that I can use right away and then sell when I'm upgrade eligible or when the next gen iPhone comes out this summer.

2. Use a spare Blackberry I have for the next few months and sell the phone as is on ebay.

The reason i'm leaning toward option 1 is because I hate not having a decent phone for 2 months plus in March the next gen iPhone should just be a few months away and have new 2 year contract with a new phone coming out that soon seems like a waste....

What would you guys do?

2. secondhandloser macrumors member

How are you getting an unsubsidized phone for $199?

If you can, that's worth doing.

If you have to pay the normal unsubsidized price, dealing with the blackberry for a little while will be worth it.

3. johndallas999 thread starter macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

The 199 price is for an out of warranty replacement phone. I called Apple and they said that regardless of what is wrong with the phone even if it's user damage, for 199 they'll give me a replacement 3GS 32GB phone (same as what I have now). I can't get the iPhone 4 for 199 until Mid March...

4. Reefbone macrumors regular

I was in a similer situation last spring. I bought a 3g $199 replacement. I used it for a while but found it had a returnable defect (mute button was not engauging). Instead of returning it right away I waited until I got the iP4 I then returned the 3G and got a new 3G which I sold as a 'new' refurb for well more than $199 so it worked out for me.

Get the 199$ replacement and just resell it next spring when whatever new one comes out. You'll get close to or all your money back even after using it for a few months. If it end up costing you 30 or 40 bucks then so what. Recommend you get a case for those few months so it's cherry when it's time to sell.

5. Reefbone macrumors regular

If you turn in a damaged phone to Apple they sell you the same model for $199. Doesn't matter the storage size or generation.. replacement is $199. It does have a warrenty BTW... at least 30 days but I'm thinking it's actually 90