Dead Aluminum Unibody

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Islandguy, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Islandguy macrumors newbie

Had my unibody MB sitting in my backpack for a week. When I pulled it out it was hot. Must have been in sleep mode? Anyway tried to start it and all it will do is start up and then turn off. I have tried swapping out the ram, booting into safe mode, recovery mode, a bootable usb drive, pulled out the battery and tried with just the power brick. I think the logic board is toast. The Apple store told me they would send it out for $280 and replace the logic board. So will probably do that. I don't want to send it out with a fully loaded HD...too much information on it. So here is my problem...how can I back up my HD to another drive using superduper...I do have another macbook available to me. Is there a way I can use my wife's macbook, plug in an external HD for back up purposes and then pull the HD out of my bad MB and put it into a "sled" then somehow manipulate the backup through my wife's macbook? AARGH...
    Jim

2. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Ouch. Sorry to hear of your situation. What you need is a SATA adapter. Handy to keep around.

On Amazon

3. Islandguy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, that looks like it will serve my purpose.

Jim

4. jezzy macrumors member

just take out the hd. they don't need it to replace the logic board.

it's simple to do!

5. Islandguy thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess that would be a lot easier to do!