Dead and Jailbroken iPod Touch- Return? URGENT

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by MayoNAISE1091, Jun 30, 2008.

1. MayoNAISE1091 macrumors newbie

Hi, I have an iPod Touch 8gb which I jailbroke with custom firmware through WinPwn, and the ipod is completely dead- it won't even turn on (well, sometimes it does, give me a minute to explain)

A few weeks ago, it started acting weird. Whenever I would put it to sleep, the screen would turn white and the backlight would turn all the way up, and when i would hit the sleep button again, it would go to the "Slide to unlock" screen, but it wouldn't respond to my touch. I figured, there must be something wrong, so i'll reset it. After holding the home and power buttons for over 5 minutes, nothing happened. So, I let the battery die overnight. The next day, the iPod was dead as i had expected. I plugged it in to charge it, and nothing happened. I figured it was too dead to do anything so I left it charging for at least 6 hours. It still did not turn on. Then, 2 weeks later, I tried turning it on and managed to get to the restore screen, where the screen turned white again, but iTunes recognized it as an ipod in restore mode. I tried to restore it, but the restore failed with an error #1604, then after trying it again, I got an error #1603. Once again, it was not responding to any key presses or screen taps (useless on the restore screen/white screen, i know). So, last night, I let the battery die again. Now, it won't turn on.

My question is, is there a way to restore a completely dead ipod? if not, I have already made an appointment with the Apple store for 4:30 today. If i bring my dead ipod there, will they take it back (no, im not going to tell them its jailbroken, that would just be retarded)?

By the way, this iPod has a custom boot logo and a custom restore screen (and i feel like an idiot for it now)

2. tucker61 macrumors regular

It might not be the jail breaking that killed it, just take it to them and let them look at it, nothing to lose, it might be a software fault. Mine was not jail broken, but had White screen. They replaced it saying it was a "logic" fault. Whatever that is.

Let us know the outcome

3. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

ok firstly settle down lol huck the ipod up to your PC (have your finger ready by the home button), it starts to turn on when hucked up to pc hold down the home button straight away and keep it held down till it shows a usb connection image with the itunes logo. Now itunes should say its detected a ipod in recovery mode hit restore and try again.

4. whatthef macrumors newbie

u r screwed

i think u r screwed, because by jailbreaking ur itouch ur void the apple agreement, so i seriously dont think they are going to fix it.

5. MayoNAISE1091 thread starter macrumors newbie

well, I don't want to sound rude, but that did not work and it wont work. My iPod will not respond to anything- buttons or even charging. I tried charging it a few minutes ago, and it didnt do anything. I know there is nothing wrong with the cable as i tried it with my nano afterwards.

Thank you for the suggestion though

Well, I might be in luck seeing as it won't even turn on, lol. I've had friends who have gotten their jailbroken ipods fixed before because Apple had no way of telling it was jailbroken. I was also trying to restore the ipod because I know I voided the warranty and I know the problem with my iPod is 100% hardware- no software could cause it to do what its doing now

6. MayoNAISE1091 thread starter macrumors newbie

well, i have some good news- they are going to exchange my iPod due to a power problem. But, with my luck, while I was waiting in the apple store, the ipod decides to miraculously turn on and display my jailbroken, but still non-functioning home page. The battery luckily died a few minutes later. After the genius who was assisting me checked the battery, he said he would swap it out with a new iPod, but with my luck, the store was out of stock, so I have to go back later this week and get a new one.

Also, I can confirm that the 2.0 upgrade will have the January software upgrade integrated into it, and it will still be $10. The genius in the store told me so when he asked if I had purchased it yet.

7. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Hey OP, good luck with the swap. Sorry about your misfortune, but thanks for alerting the community to your issue.

Crossing my fingers you are able to exchange.

Can I ask how long you had the ipod? You might have said it but I didn't catch it. Did you experience the problems with stock firmware at all?

8. MayoNAISE1091 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've had this iPod since September 30th according to my receipt and I had problems with the firmware it came with, but after I updated I had no problems. A restore would not fix this problem, it was diagnosed to be a battery failure

9. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

man that sucks about the update being $10. Sucks for people who bought the first update and now need to buy the second.

10. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

it actually isnt that bad. for $20, we have it for 6 months longer. ill take that

11. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

did they see the jailbroken screen? lol

as for the update we can but assume its intergrated as they have taken the purchase page off iTunes for the jan update

12. MayoNAISE1091 thread starter macrumors newbie

No, they never saw the screen because the battery died and it wouldn't recharge when the genius tried testing it, so he diagnosed a battery failure and I have to go back to the apple store tomorrow and swap out my ipod for a new one.

13. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

even better cause the chance was there for them to see but they missed out it just adds to the fun lol

14. MayoNAISE1091 thread starter macrumors newbie

small update- Apple called me this morning, I have an appointment at the genius bar today to swap my iPod because the new one came in this morning, so I'll tell you all how it went once I get back

15. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

16. MayoNAISE1091 thread starter macrumors newbie

all went well- my new ipod is in my pocket right now :)

17. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

18. ballender1003 macrumors newbie

I had the same problem, use this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROKCfzezGXw&feature=related

19. bladebbc macrumors newbie

thank you for this, it helped alot my ipod is now restored and working again