Dead Apple Wired Keyboard

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by AzNTypeR, Apr 5, 2014.

1. AzNTypeR, Apr 5, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2014

AzNTypeR macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've spilt a drink over my keyboard earlier, and afterwards, it would cause me to right-click constantly.

I then unplugged it to dry and clean it, and later when I plugged it back in, it was completely dead. The caps lock light didn't turn on, and none of the keys worked. I plugged it in to various other PCs and Laptops, all of which provided the same result - a dead keyboard, although I did hear the 'Connected' tone when I plugged it in to a Windows 8 Laptop.

I plan to bring this in to the Apple Store, does anyone know if they will exchange it on the spot, or will they check for water damage etc?

Any ideas?

2. mneblett macrumors 6502

Trying to be an honest person? Be prepared to buy a new keyboard?

You damaged your keyboard. This is not a defect in materials or workmanship. Why would you think Apple will just replace it, no questions asked?

Life's too short to spend it lying about stuff like this.

3. AzNTypeR, Apr 5, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2014

AzNTypeR thread starter macrumors newbie

I damaged it, yes, but it afterwards it still functioned and worked.

It wasn't until I cleaned it did it stop working. I can't have had cleaned it in such a way that it would cause it to cease working, right?

4. mgipe macrumors demi-god

mgipe

I wrecked my car. It wouldn't start after that, so I pushed it over a cliff to try to jump start it. if I tow it back to the car dealer, will they replace it for me?

5. AzNTypeR thread starter macrumors newbie

I purchased AppleCare for my Mac, though.

It states that it covers for accessories, and the keyboard is an accessory.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

From defects in workmanship and electronics not from damage.

I bring my car to the car wash and leave the windows down. The car gets soaked and my heated seats don't work correctly. I clean the car out and now nothing inside works. Do I claim the dealer it covers this? Absolutely not.

Buy a new keyboard and be done with it.

7. AzNTypeR thread starter macrumors newbie

From defects in workmanship?

Does this mean that I paid extra for a warranty, that doesn't actually cover me against what I thought it did?

8. COrocket macrumors 6502

Having AppleCare really doesn't matter in a situation where the damage was caused by the user. All AppleCare does is extend the limited warranty which as someone previously mentioned, covers defects in material/workmanship. Yes, cleaning the keyboard (depending on what you did to it) can damage it and that is what you choose to do.

9. AzNTypeR thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, thanks for explaining it to me.

10. AzNTypeR thread starter macrumors newbie

I just plugged in my keyboard again, and although it doesn't work, it will still charge my iPhone when I connect it. Does this mean that it isn't 'fully' dead?

11. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

It means that the USB circuitry isn't corroded to the point of failure yet. It may work, potentially if you removed the main board from the keyboard and cleaned it in a treatment with 96% alcohol.

12. AzNTypeR thread starter macrumors newbie

That sounds too complicated for me, I guess that I need a new keyboard.

Should I get a wired or wireless this time around?

13. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The pros of wireless is the ability to quickly yank it away before a spill happens and not worry about the wire. The bad part is dealing with batteries, and Bluetooth. You also do not get USB ports on the side for your mouse.

14. AzNTypeR thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess the wireless is a done deal. I use a Trackpad with my Mac, and I only use the ports to connect my iPhone.

15. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

It is probably better to connect your iPhone directly to your Mac rather than the keyboard.

16. AzNTypeR thread starter macrumors newbie

The ports to my Mac are really hard to get to, due to the position it's in.

17. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Then try running a USB extension cable and just leave it out on the desk. Or better yet, get a powered USB hub and plug all things into that like your iPhone, camera, flash drive, etc.

The hub in keyboards are slow, non-powered, and are just not designed for significant uses like charging and syncing devices, large file transfers, etc.

18. AzNTypeR thread starter macrumors newbie

That's quite a good idea, thanks!

Time to add a USB Hub to my list of 'To Buy'.

19. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Just giving tips at this point. For instance, I have an old Apple wired keyboard, and it has my mouse plugged in. If I plug anything else in, it instantly throws a low-power notice to me. USB ports have a limited power rating (500 mA I believe) and cannot draw more without damage to the board.

20. AzNTypeR thread starter macrumors newbie

I've honestly never seen that warning before, and I've had two phones plugged in via the keyboard last week!

21. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Oh it can happen. In fact, sometimes it will disable a port to avoid damage.

Attached Files: