dead battery in mini, keep?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Cybix, Apr 29, 2007.

1. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

I've got a silver iPod mini (1st gen, 4gig), it's battery is well and truely dead.

shall I fix it and keep it? (could always use it as a car ipod)

perhaps someone could point in the direction to replace the battery myself? and somewhere to buy a battery?

the wife and I both have newer iPod's, so it's not really used....

James

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Here in Norway there's actually a shop that has specialized in changing iPod batteries at a reasonable price (either by showing up in the store in Oslo or shipping the iPod to them using the post), iPodbatteri.no, maybe there's a similar shop somewhere near you...?

4. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

if you don't use it, why bother repairing it? you could always trade it in next time you get a new iPod for the 10% discount. or make it into a trinket of some sort.

5. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

if you have an iPod dock, you could always keep it on there, and use it as a public(for people visting your house) media station of sorts

6. Cybix thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cybix

thanks for the suggestions.

I would be happy to keep it in the car (car has ipod cable -> stereo) which charges the ipod when the ignition is on.

only problem is, it's at a point where even in the car, over night, the next day i cant get enough charge into it to get it working again. Perhaps if i was driving for over an hour it would start to work, who knows....

I guess I could remove it from the car and plug it into the wall over night, each night....

thanks every1

7. Cybix thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cybix

more..

i just took a look at the fixit guide to replacing the battery, looks pretty easy. I love dismantling things! hehe

Battery price from them isnt bad either, $25. + shipping to Australia.. hrmm.

It'd be worth fixing, whether i keep it or not. Could throw it on ebay, or I could gank out the 4GB microdrive and use it in my DSLR camera? hehe..

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Go for it mate. Tell us how it goes, 'cause I haven't done a hard drive on an iPod mini before.